Steam instead of hot water out of water tap

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
NickA

#1: Post by NickA »

I have just started using a rebuilt Linea 1 group, but instead of hot water I get mostly steam out of the hot water spout. It starts with a bit of hot water and then deteriorates. I did reinsert the hot water syphon tube into the boiler when I refitted it. The only difference now is that I am feeding through a steam valve assembly. (Which seems to be standard for a 1 group Linea) I did swap the steam to the left hand side of the boiler, so the outlet is now close to the element, because I was tired of burning my hand on the steam wand when I turned the machine off. Could this be the problem?

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

ideas to check:
  • leak at top of syphon tube, allowing steam to enter
    syphon tube not long enough (and after a little of water is drawn off, syphon perhaps exposed)
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

eastpresso

#3: Post by eastpresso »

Paul wrote:ideas to check:
  • syphon tube not long enough (and after a little of water is drawn off, syphon perhaps exposed)
Could also point to water level in steam boiler too low (autofill probe too long) ?

NickA (original poster)

#4: Post by NickA (original poster) »

Hi Paul, you were spot on; I forgot that the diameter of the boiler had changed so I need to lengthen the syphon. D'oh! All working well now with an acceptable mix of water/steam coming out.