Stalling a Vibe Pump?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Endo

#1: Post by Endo »

Has anyone ever had their vibe pump stop during backflushing or choking? I assume the pressure regulating valve would prevent this, but if you were to adjust it higher, how high would you need to go before the vibe pump stops?
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

Trisha

#2: Post by Trisha »

Wouldn't that depend on the machine itself? Is there a regulator to begin with - or does one just stall out the vibe (and risk damage)? Is the pump thermally limited, or current regulated? What is the pump's rating (OEM specs)?

I have an Ascaso Arc that I bring to the occasional wood splitting/firewood party up here, and use a hand grinder that's more than capable of choking the Arc (I run the Arc off a little inverter I hook up to the pick-up's battery). One works slowly up to a grind/does rather than the reverse (but as I hand load my own ammunition that I shoot in IDPA competition, that perspective may make more sense as overcharging powder in a cartridge can be - um - unpleasant, if not lethal).

What is the PSI? That would take a pressure gauge, yes?

Idle curiosity, or destructive testing?

:shock:
LMWDP# 95
. . . and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

Because of the way a vibe pump works, they just get quieter as the pressure increases. The only potential downside is the lack of water flow may allow the pump to heat up faster.

Ira

Endo (original poster)

#4: Post by Endo (original poster) »

The problem I have having is with my new LaSpaziale Mini Vivaldi. It has a vibe pump and pressure regulating valve. Basically, I should be getting a "no flow" alarm when backflushing, but instead it just keeps pumping away with no sign or sound change indicating it is struggling in the least. I don't know what my brew pressure is since I don't have the brew gauge option on mine. Still, I expect it to be around 9 bar based on the typical factory preset.

Another Mini Vivaldi owner has his vibe pump just stop, and then the "no flow" alarm (LEDs) go off. His machine has the brew gauge and he reads 10 bar. Most of the owners on s1cafe.com (Vivaldi owners forum) have rotary pumps so I thought I'd ask here where there are more vibe pump users. You can read the posts here if you would like to get more background info:

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1025

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Endo wrote: Another Mini Vivaldi owner has his vibe pump just stop, and then the "no flow" alarm (LEDs) go off. His machine has the brew gauge and he reads 10 bar:
He didn't say it stopped only that it gets quiet. He also said the alarm stops when he turns off the water (hits the button) which is exactly how it is supposed to work.
LMWDP 267

Endo (original poster)

#6: Post by Endo (original poster) »

Just to follow-up this post in case anyone was experiencing the same issue:

The "no flow" fault alarm DOES NOT come on during backflushing on the Mini. So, don't wait for the 3 LEDs to go on indicating a flow fault like on the regular S1 Vivaldi or you'll be waiting forever. The OPV water is recirculated back to the pump input through a tee fitting.

Simply flush for 10 seconds, stop, flush 10 seconds, stop..... just like on other machines.

The first video is normal. Not sure what happened on the second video, but I assume it's a high OPV setting or stalling pump, or a combination of the two.