Sourcing parts and supplies for fabbing machine copper plumbing.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Not having much luck finding what's needed to reproduce a steam pipe for the Cimbali, and I'm wondering where folks who do major repairs and restorations get their supplies. Are these deeply guarded secrets of an arcane art? None of the retailers I've contacted have matching fittings, and the only soft annealed copper tubing I can find is in 30' or more rolls. McMaster-Carr does not have the fittings, and the Serto site also does not show a match, tho I have no idea who made these fittings.

I'd even settle for something close enough to work. For want of a nail...
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

A pix of the fitting you are looking for and the metric diameter and pitch would help. Many of these fittings are high pressure gas fittings in metric sizes.

cuppajoe (original poster)

#3: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks Rich -

This goes between the boiler and steam tap on a Cimbali Junior. Let me know if you would like closeups of the ends.

Much obliged

David
David - LMWDP 448

cuppajoe (original poster)

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Here's some closeups of the fittings(nipples?) The one on the straight end was not originally soldered.

Added another pic showing where the nipple fits into the steam tap. Not sure where the mating surfaces for sealing are. The nipple is tapered, as well as where it fits in, but it's not snug. There is also the flange at the back of the nipple that could mate to the end of the tap. The nipple was affixed to the tube with a flare, but it is not for sealing. The leak was coming from between the tube and the nut.
David - LMWDP 448