Soo I decided to build an espresso machine...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
maximoe

#1: Post by maximoe »

Hi all,
After lurking for a while, and getting addicted to mocha's from my dad's Breville Barista Express I have decided to build a machine from scratch. I am headed back to school in the fall, and with my new coffee addiction I cannot go without while at school. Not only that, but I cant possibly afford a newer machine, so hope to have my machine constructed before then.

Here I will be documenting the build and counting on you guys to scream for updates to keep me on track.

My original plan was to build a simple single boiler and plumb in a steam wand, hot water tap and a regular E61 group. These were to run those solely off of the pressure inside, and for the group I was planning to build a one-way hand pump using check valves and a miniature cylinder. The cylinder was to be a small amount, maybe 5ml at a time so that it would take little effort to use (once primed 9 full pumps to yield a double). The thought here was that it would be MUCH cheaper than a lever group.

Today all of this changed.
You see I was browsing garage sales to hopefully find a cheap espresso machine I could part out and get the group from. With no luck at the first two, I went to the last one of the morning. Turns out this one was a sale for a pipefitters estate.

Yes, that is a Procon Series 2 rotary vane pump. I couldn't believe my luck. Along with it I found many fittings and valves that I will be making use of. Maybe if you are lucky I'll tell you what the pump cost me :D.

So long story short, I will now be making a single boiler, rotary vane powered machine with a standard E61 Group.
Part list(so far):
-1500w heater
-Auber Instruments PID with PT100 and 25A SSR
-E61 Group
-Procon Series 2 Pump
-Any steam wand I can find.
-Copper tube with a brass valve for hot water.
-Custom boiler

I am looking for a steam wand, group head, and maybe some nicer valves/fittings because this thing is going to look like a Frankenstein anyways. So if you have one you can donate to the cause let me know. I hope to have this thing producing coffee in 2 weeks.

Let me know your questions and comments!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Congrats on the pump upgrade! These are always fun to watch develop. Are you going to fabricate your own frame as well? It seems like scouring around for a old unused machine might yield you more components and framework materials, often ending up at a cheaper price.

Best of luck either way.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

maximoe (original poster)

#3: Post by maximoe (original poster) replying to TomC »

Thanks,
Yeah I will be making my own frame, but it will be pretty bare bones, I'm thinking maybe a glass case over it to show off the internals.

I have managed to find a used E61 Group, for 65 bucks, from espressocare.com, so I'll probably go with that.

Made the hot water spout today! I think I'll keep the valve at the top so It doesn't get too hot from the boiler.

OzarkTroutBum

#4: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

I noticed this used group head at Espresso Care and maybe its an option for you.

http://www.espressocare.com/products/it ... -grouphead

#5: Post by maximoe (original poster) replying to OzarkTroutBum »

Thanks man! Yeah that's the one ill be ordering tomorrow. I'm praying that shipping is reasonable to Canada haha.

#6: Post by maximoe (original poster) »

Got the heating element from a recycled building material store for 10 bucks. I bent it so that it would fit into my boiler. I just put a cloth over a pipe clamped in a vice and hit it until I was happy.

Shipping from the states at espressocare.com was almost as much as my order, so I'm thinking I might just make a steam wand, and buy the group on eBay, as there is one coming up soon.

OzarkTroutBum

#7: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

maximoe wrote:Shipping from the states at espressocare.com was almost as much as my order, so I'm thinking I might just make a steam wand, and buy the group on eBay, as there is one coming up soon.
Too bad on the shipping.

Get thee to Craigslist and see if there are any deals there for parts you can cannibalize or find some restaurant supply places that may have a bone yard. Seems like Canada would be a target rich environment. You just have to find it.

bostonbuzz

#8: Post by bostonbuzz »

Great job from a fellow DIY-er! I'm not sure you'll save much money, but the process will be very rewarding nonetheless!
LMWDP #353

allyswed

#9: Post by allyswed »

Also a long time follower of the HB forums but never jumped on in to the discussion. Seeing a fellow DIYer inspired me take the leap and reply. maximoe - nice to see others jumping into the world of DIY. I too am in the process of building a custom machine from scratch so will be interesting to follow your progress. Hadn't intended to do a similar thread but we'll see. I can sympathise with the postage issue, I have assembled various bits and pieces from some of the big suppliers in the UK and US (to me in Sweden) at great expense, sucks. So can agree with bostonbuzz that I wouldn't call this a money saving exercise but will definitely be worth it in the end...

#10: Post by maximoe (original poster) »

Ok so after deciding that I would like an E61 group , I have noticed that they have two input threads on the back. I won't be recirculating through a heat exchanger so am I correct in dating that I could just block one inlet and plumb the pump direct to the group?

Of course I would then just flush the group with water in order to pre heat.