Clive Coffee, TESTED new Quick Mill Lucca M58 (vs Profitec 700 Pro!) - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Cincyjack

#31: Post by Cincyjack »

I'd like to see the Lucca M58 and the Profitec toe to toe.

Profitec seems great on paper but numerous posts refer to DOA units. Wonder if a cause was eliminated?

Some Lucca reviews may be helpful.

benpiff (original poster)

#32: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

The first machine I played with yesterday was the Profitec...but here's a little taste of what else is to come: http://youtu.be/_SDDfklnJRM. Side question, at 22 seconds does the machine seem like it's flushing super heated water on a hot heat exchanger? Clive hasn't scaced this yet, and I didn't bring my Eric's thermometer with me, but I suspect the offset may have been off.

My little Profitec 700 test/demo is now uploaded: http://youtu.be/aeqU_djwEQo. And I was really excited to test the new Compak Essential On Demand (wasn't there last time), is this a K10 or E10? I decided to see what would happen with dosing out my typical amount at whatever setting the grinder had been left at, and upload the first result. It was a bit longer of an extraction than my typical, but I was pleased with it, and I continued to remain impressed with my now second steaming test (despite my two injured fingers, which couldn't grip the pitcher handle).

The bit of slack in the knobs is different than what I've become used to, but the performance is as good as I've found. Had slightly easier microfoam with the Profitec than the Vesuvius and Lucca, but I largely attribute this to using steam knobs for many years, and joysticks only on these two trips to Clive. But as I mention in some of these videos, I think joysticks combined with PID controllable steam boiler will be my favorite steaming equation.

The second extraction with the bottomless was a shorter ristretto than I usually pull, but I think what the blend was designed for. In 25 seconds it likely would have been my typical 1.5 oz, anyway it was delicious!

Another Lucca test/demo video is uploading too: http://youtu.be/rbi5UTu7gOQ

Cincyjack

#33: Post by Cincyjack »

Lucca and the 700 close to a dead heat price wise. Tough call.

Compass Coffee

#34: Post by Compass Coffee »

Ben,

If your info' is correct you use a QM V2B at home. These "play times" with other same class machines are cool for people as far as bells and whistle comparisons go. In the cup the shot potential results isn't going to vary by a hair a most. If you really want to take it to the next level spend copious time exploring the profiled shot capabilities of the Vesuvius. Especially with lighter roasted vibrant coffees like a Geisha, verging on mind blowing smooth sweet creamy zero bite shot possiblities.

Just a suggestion, and one you may NOT want to do! (your wallet might not like it if you do :wink: )
Mike McGinness

Compass Coffee

#35: Post by Compass Coffee »

clivecoffee wrote:Hi Keno,
Indeed we are carrying both the Vesuvius and Profitec Pro 700 (a few more in the works too). We just launched a new site and have a few new products in queue to be added to the site...
Just got off the phone, to be precise you carry a demo model of the Vesuvius but do not stock them for purchase pick up but rather have them drop shipped.
Mike McGinness

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#36: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Mike,
The Vesuvius is very new to us and we don't yet have a handle on whether it makes sense to keep in stock for our local/regional customers, so for now we're drop shipping from our friends at Chris Coffee. If there's a need we'll have a pallet of 'em in the back :)

benpiff (original poster)

#37: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

I really never thought I'd get a chance to play with a Vesuvius, as I can't think of anything comparatively as rare. But I was an absolute believer in what Mike said at my first shot, literally. I kept the grind the same as what works for the other e61s, but pulled a very different looking and tasting shoot of the same Lovejoy blend I'd been using all day. Crazy complex, smooth and sweet (acidity much less pronounced). Even though it was a very slow and small extraction. I'll be uploading this, even though my reaction face is quite embarrassing during the extraction. I wasn't able to recreate that same flavor again, but I would need a lot more time to start figuring out what temperature and pressure profile I like best for that bean.

Compass Coffee

#38: Post by Compass Coffee replying to benpiff »

Did you happen to check the shot pressure profile stage parameters? My guess is no but maybe! With 7 stages (up to 7, don't have to use them all) each anywhere from 2 to 12 bar plus being able to change the pump max' acceleration the shot profile possibilities are virtually limitless.
Mike McGinness

debuggr

#39: Post by debuggr »

These Vesuvius posts are killing me. I know there's a significant price difference, but should I cancel my M58 order and go up to the Vesuvius? :shock:
LMWDP #684

Compass Coffee

#40: Post by Compass Coffee replying to debuggr »

I won't say should. I will say you would highly likely NOT regret it. The cup potential from the Vesuvius far surpasses standard E61 DB machines, period, no question. The Vesusius can even surpass my Cyncra at the Roastery. Currently I would only swap out my Vesuvius for a Slayer, and don't believe the potential cup would improve just machine look sexier. (and Slayer have far superior steaming performance but I don't care about steaming for larger than a cap')
Mike McGinness