Small chunk of rubber inside steam tip?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
duke-one

#1: Post by duke-one »

Hey All: Had some on and off again slow steaming that would go away for a while with the cleaning pin on the group brush. Finally took off the steam tip and there was a small bit of rubber something or other partly blocking the steam flow. Steam valve seems to work just fine otherwise, any suggestions? I see at EPNW the steam valve seat (most likely suspect) is reddish the bit was black so could this be from somewhere else? Machine 3 years from new in home service.
Thanks, Duke Masters

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

The sealing washers come in various colors. I would suspect that was the source- either that or a bit of O-ring from the arm seal of the valve body.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#3: Post by IMAWriter »

Also wondering, if the steam arm is of the "no Burn" variety, could a bit of the silicon (or whatever) tubing broken off?
I've never had a no burn so apologies if my comment is as ridiculous as it now sounds as I type this. :lol:

duke-one (original poster)

#4: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Randy: Not the shape of any bit of O-ring, more like a section of a bottle cap which I guess ends the mystery as that is the shape of the seal.
Rob: Unlined tube, I think, did not look closely at that.
Guess I should order a seal and/or rebuild kit. Don't want to chew up the valve seat if the soft part is breaking up.
Duke
Just a late thought; Could something like this be the cause of other folks mysterious poor steam performance?

duke-one (original poster)

#5: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Update: So this morning was first time I used the machine after removing debris:
1) I can't believe how much steam power there is now.
2) This must have been blocking the nozzle since the Linea was new because it never steamed like this as far as I can remember.
Steam valve rebuild kit and seals on order.
KDM