Slayer single group review - Page 7

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
UFGators

#61: Post by UFGators »

I agree blind tasting would be best... The problem with the Slayer is that are almost too many variables to manipulate! One thing I figured out today is that in order to duplicate some of the brew profiles that I was getting on my Bosco I had to turn down my slayer's brew temperature. I believe that this is due to the fact that the Bosco (and any lever machine) has a declining brew temperature profile. With my Bosco, the shot started around 200-201 and ending around 196-197. In order to duplicate the net result, I had to turn my temperature down to 198 for brewing italian style roasts like Mischela D'oro Gran Crema.

While I like the various flavors you can make with the coffee- more bitter and strong for caps, smoother and more clarity for straight shots, I find that the effect is more pronounced with lighter roasts. My shot of hairbender had more discernable flavors although it did not have the same heavy body mouthfeel of my lever machine. I am still learning how to get the best out of each coffee and it is fun!

I do not think it is fair to bash a machine until you have actually used each one. A lot of this comes down to personal preference and, to some extent, power of suggestion. I will not puke out all of my feelings about each machine but if anyone wants to hear my personal opinions I will be glad to share. I have owned the Strega, Bosco, and now, the Slayer and I think each machine is good in its own way. I do believe, however, that the biggest single contributor to great coffee at my home is my grinder and we all know that makes the biggest difference.

Advertisement
contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#62: Post by contraflow88 »

The different grinder (Anfim Super Caimano vs my M3) and different taste in the water, will certainly changes things too. That being said - and I'm just guessing - I can't help but think being able to slow down the saturation of the puck/prebrew on the Slayer (lasting 25-30s vs 8-15ish with my Strega) which in turn allows you to grind finer, is helping.
The anfim super caimano is a wonderful grinder it's 75mm burrs vs your M3 64mm burrs with a conic twist I really don't see why you would need to upgrade as you mentioned in an earlier post? I think currently your M3 is more costly. Perhaps the M3 paired with a slayer can produce exceptional results as well?

nickw

#63: Post by nickw »

JohnB. wrote:You can extend the saturation time with the Strega. Just grind finer then usual & hold the lever between the point that the switch & spring engage after filling the group. The saturation/pre infusion/pre brew will continue at what ever pressure you filled the group at.
I'll start a new thread in the lever forum about this (maybe in a day or two). I find it hard to go past 15s prebrew without getting some bitterness.

contraflow88 wrote:The anfim super caimano is a wonderful grinder it's 75mm burrs vs your M3 64mm burrs with a conic twist I really don't see why you would need to upgrade as you mentioned in an earlier post? I think currently your M3 is more costly. Perhaps the M3 paired with a slayer can produce exceptional results as well?
Don't get me wrong, the M3 is good grinder. I just think there is room for improvement. Such as with terranova's upgrades if you've followed those. A better grind is rewarded in the cup.

UFGators wrote:I will not puke out all of my feelings about each machine but if anyone wants to hear my personal opinions I will be glad to share. I have owned the Strega, Bosco, and now, the Slayer and I think each machine is good in its own way. I do believe, however, that the biggest single contributor to great coffee at my home is my grinder and we all know that makes the biggest difference.
I'd love to hear your opinion on the Slayer, especially after owing a Strega/Bosco.

I also agree about the grinder making a big difference. If you had a M3 without Terranova's upgrades, I've love to hear you opinion on a before and after.

waroros

#64: Post by waroros »

What is your experience with temperature?

Mine seem to not as stable as I'd expect. My set temp. is 93c. However, after idle, but not standby, it always come down to 92.3c. With a flush, or brew instantly, it even come down to 91.x c. However, with too small break between each shots, it might go near 95c.
Could you suggest your flush and use routine?

Moreover, are you changing pump pressure? Mine come with 11-12 bar full brew. Should I lower it to around 9?
Let's get it slayed

shadowfax

#65: Post by shadowfax »

I can suggest that you keep flushing to a minimum-just enough to clear and heat the screen. More flushing than that isn't going to help. I have seen more variation than I would prefer; I don't have good data about this yet (waiting on a Scace II to do some temperature testing).

For brew pressure, you should set it as you like. It's pretty easy to do:
Prepare a shot, lock it in, enter brew pump pressure adjustment mode, and brew your shot as normal. The arrow keys will let you set the pump power to deliver the desired pressure. Remember, as with any espresso machine that is intended to be connected to positive inlet pressure, the output pressure is at least somewhat a function of the inlet pressure. So whatever it is set to from the factory is *not* necessarily what the manufacturer intended at all. It is important that you adjust this parameter to your preference, and I would advise keeping it under 10 bars for a slow-flowing ristretto extraction-at that same setting, you should see 8-9 bars for a faster-flowing shot.
Nicholas Lundgaard

waroros

#66: Post by waroros »

Thank shadowfax for your very detailed explanation and help. It's exactly what I'm wondering. I think 11-12 bars is too high, but doubt if it is Slayer style or intention.

From your video, there are 2 pressure, brew pump brewing and brew pump finishing. I guess brew pump brewing is for pre-brew + full brew, and brew pump finishing is for when you push a paddle back to middle point, is it correct?

For temperature, currently, I also find that keep flushing to minimum work best. It might be up to 1-1.5 Celsius lower than set temp. However, keep flushing might make temp. even lower, or else, push temp up to 94-95 Celsius, which is much worse.
Let's get it slayed

shadowfax

#67: Post by shadowfax »

There is only one pump setting. 'Finishing' is just to show you that you have dropped back to pre-brew mode after entering brew mode. It simply indicates that flow is restricted to remind you that the pressure on the gauge is likely to be lower. You should monitor the pressure for the purpose of setting the pump speed in brew mode only, not pre-brew.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
UFGators

#68: Post by UFGators »

shadowfax wrote:I can suggest that you keep flushing to a minimum-just enough to clear and heat the screen. More flushing than that isn't going to help. I have seen more variation than I would prefer; I don't have good data about this yet (waiting on a Scace II to do some temperature testing).
Does your machine have the latest software update? This supposedly addresses temperature inconsistency. I don't see any issue with my machine.

shadowfax

#69: Post by shadowfax »

UFGators wrote:Does your machine have the latest software update?
Not yet, but I will be getting it upgraded, probably sometime in December. I believe it involves full board replacement.
Nicholas Lundgaard

UFGators

#70: Post by UFGators replying to shadowfax »

Hopefully it's not too labor intensive... Did you hear that they just received some shower screens that they designed for the machine? They are sending me one. Just FYI may want to check it out..