Slayer single group review - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

uscfroadie wrote:I don't make tea and only use water from the hot water tap to warm cups, so this sputtering wouldn't bother me, but for some it may.
The "tea water" option on the Speedster is nice for Americanos, hot chocolate, ect. Unlike the GS3 the "tea" water temp is not adjustable as it's fixed by the size of the orifice in the mixing block.

It's unfortunate that the Slayer tap outlet sits as high as it does above the drip tray. If it was closer to the tray the steam would be easier to contain. Depending on the height that you have the drip tray adjusted to the Speedster tap outlet sits 3.5" - 4.5" above the tray in it's lowest position.
LMWDP 267

DaveC

#12: Post by DaveC replying to JohnB. »

I would say the simple option is to just lift the cup up when filling, but then like many others, I rarely use the hot water tap from the espresso machine for anything but warming cups, so for all I know this could be a hand burn problem. I have a press button 15 second boil dispenser kettle for tea and hot water.

Also means I don't have to have the steam boiler at full pressure all the time and can leave it in Eco mode at 60C or 70C. Sure I guess if I wanted hot water with no steamy splutter, I can just draw it at a lower temperature when she comes out of ECO, but the kettle is the easier option for me.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

Holding a small cup under a sputtering hot water wand will likely get your hand splattered with boiler temp water. Given a choice between filling a kettle & waiting for it to heat or just setting your cup on the drip tray & flipping a switch or pushing a button I'll take the second option every time.
LMWDP 267

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv replying to JohnB. »

I am with you on this one John :D Burned flesh is not such a good thing :shock:
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

shadowfax

#15: Post by shadowfax »

The Slayer's water tap has a progressively opening valve that is easy to control. If you hold a cup close to the spout and open the valve slowly, it's very easy to avoid getting burned. This works great for warming cups, if you feel the need. It is much too hot for americanos, or any tea except maybe some black teas. If you want hot water for making drinks at the touch of a button, a Zojirushi is a good investment.

Again, I found this missing feature to be a disappointing omission, and I have stated as much in the review, but let's be rational about this-burned flesh would be a concern if I let my 6 year old use the machine. It is not a concern for adults.
Nicholas Lundgaard

DaveC

#16: Post by DaveC replying to shadowfax »

I totally agree, I didn't imagine people would hold a cup close and then slap the valve fully open, but as you say these water boilers like the Zorjirushi are ideal and we have used them for 20 years (my wife is Chinese). I also like these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VKJ318 ... le+hot+cup

As I can simply place my cup under the spout, press the button and by the time I have cleaned the filter basket and machine, my Americano is waiting. So much better than using the hot water tap. really for me the hot water valve, cold water blending that some machines do...in the home environment...it's all just noise.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by FotonDrv »

You are correct Nicholas, and yes, children should not play with these things.

The water tap would not stop me from buying a Slayer and it is good to know that the flow can be metered out to the cup to not cause splashing of the steaming water.

For me, having Slayer within a 25 mile radius of my home makes it a simple decision and from what I have read they seem to be very customer oriented.

UFGators

#18: Post by UFGators »

Does anyone have any opinions or impressions of the coffee brewing ability of the machine that has actually used it? I really doubt that anyone that is buying this machine is going to care much about brewing tea or an americano. I use my hot water tap to pre heat cups, and to heat refrigerated pasta and that is about it! I did brew a green tea this morning because I am getting over a cold and I didn't really care what temperature as long as it was hot!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by FotonDrv »

I never thought about pasta but it is not a bad idea! Thanks :)

etout00

#20: Post by etout00 »

I have to be honest, for a machine of this level and price I am a bit surprised Slayer decided to omit a water mixing feature. I could see if this was a prosumer machine in the $1-2k, but it's around $10k....and I believe every single other machine in its same class has a water mixing feature. Not a deal breaker...but pretty surprising they omitted the feature.

I use my hot water mixing tap every single morning for Americanos.

Is someone not going to buy this incredible db machine because of this lack of a feature, probably not. Sure you can buy another appliance such as a dedicated hot water dispenser... but IMHO this machine should come with this simple feature just like all other machines at this level.

Either way, the Slayer single group is no doubt a home machine anyone is envious of, I'm just looking forward to seeing more of the review.