Sirai Pressurestat - Quieting/Insulating

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fishll

#1: Post by fishll »

Planning to lower the setting on my pstat to just below 1 bar and while I was there I am hoping to somehow quiet the smack of the points opening and closing. My first thought is some kind of dampener but that obviously would have to stay out of the way of the points and allow them full contact. My other option it seems is to insulate the box with some kind of sound deadening mat/fabric. Has anyone done this is the past or can any recommendations be made?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'm going to get creative with dampening mine in my Gaggia Orione lever. I'm thinking a $5 project box lined with various amounts of sound dampening.

I bought some of that heavy duty foil backed tar tape stuff for using on roofing. It's basically asphalt minus the smell or the grit, with thick foil. Works like the much, much more expensive commercial product called Dynomat, that is used for car audio, sound dampening. I lined my trunk of my Mustang with it and have some left over. I'm thinking of building an enclosure, lined with that, and stuffed with a bit of poly batting. I can get the whole thing done for less than $10 I assume.

If I do it and it works well, I'll share it here in this thread. I'm currently waiting on some replacement brass shims for the group before I tackle anything else on it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/