Sirai pressurestat deadband

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
MNSTA

#1: Post by MNSTA »

Hello,

I have a Rancilio S26,
My pressurestat turns off at 1.3bar and comes back on once its dropped down to 0.8bar,
Is it functioning correctly or is the dead band too large ?

Thanks.

jamoke

#2: Post by jamoke »

A .5 bar dead band sounds way out of whack. One cautionary note: I replaced a Sirai pressurestat on a Nuova Simonelli only to find that the problem was the pressure gauge. But in that case the gauge read too high; it wasn't a dead band issue.
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

keno

#3: Post by keno »

MNSTA wrote: My pressurestat turns off at 1.3bar and comes back on once its dropped down to 0.8bar,
Is it functioning correctly or is the dead band too large ?
Seems a little wide. My machine has a Sirai p-stat and it turns on at 1.0 bar and off at 1.25 which is about half the bandwidth.

Is it a problem? I would ask you: Has it always been like this or has it recently gotten wider? Do you notice any brew issues? How is shot to shot recovery?

MNSTA (original poster)

#4: Post by MNSTA (original poster) replying to keno »

I purchased the machine in a run down state , I have stripped it down descaled the boiler etc,sandblasted the frame , new paint on the frame and side panels, new shower screen and seal ,just gave it a bit of a birthday ,
I have had it running for a couple of months and its great ,I have been making really nice shots,
I just wasn't sure if the p-stat was functioning as it should ,this is how its been since I've had it running,
I can adjust the p-stat to get a higher or lower boiler pressure but the .5 deadband remains.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

The Sirai p-stat is known for having a wider deadband than some others, but that does seem a little wider than normal. Could be because the membrane is getting old and stiffer. There are rebuild kits available, but if the contacts are getting worn it would probably be better to replace the whole thing.

You may want to check this thread:
Pressurestat deadband suddenly widened, why?

MNSTA (original poster)

#6: Post by MNSTA (original poster) »

The other thing is the pressure gauge does not return to zero once the machine has cooled,
It sits at about .2 bar,
Could that mean my reading on the gauge is out with the machine up to temp ?.

MNSTA (original poster)

#7: Post by MNSTA (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies ,

I will fit a new p-stat as it seems the swing is too wide like I thought,

Regards
Cadan.

MNSTA (original poster)

#8: Post by MNSTA (original poster) »

Just a quick update,

I have purchased and fitted a new Sirai p-stat and I now have a swing of 0.2bar,
The old p-stat must have been tired,

Thanks.