Silk screen decal replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
stuartmac

#1: Post by stuartmac »

has anyone ever successfully had replacement decals made for their machines? If so how did you go about it.

in polishing the stainless on my newest project i will inadvertently remove all the old decals for the shot control , power etc.

From the high rez factory pictures im thinking i can extract the decal shape in photoshop and then convert it to vector and have it sent somewhere to have it printed. But this is only a theory at the moment.

algue

#2: Post by algue »

I usually print home made decals for plane and car models with my office laser printer.
The procedure is quite simple and results really impressive.
I never tried to apply a decal onto the hot surface of a coffee machine, though.
Alberto

Advertisement
algue

#3: Post by algue »

Just to see what happens I have just printed a "hot surface" decal and put it onto the group of my BZ10.
I think it is a good place to test its resistance.
I will keep you informed.
Alberto

in the photo below the two decals: the original one (b/w) and the home made (yellow background)
sorry for the poor quality of the photo but it is not easy to take a close up of such a reflectant surface

stuartmac (original poster)

#4: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

What are you printing them onto?

algue

#5: Post by algue »

I use the samsung color laser printer I have on my desk.
I print vectorial images on specific decal film sheets you can easily find for few money on the internet and then I cut and apply the decal with water and a specific liquid.
At the moment the decal is still there.

stuartmac (original poster)

#6: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

http://www.decalpaper.com/default.asp

Well look at that, i didn't even know such a thing existed.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Very nice restoration trick. Keep us posted on how it holds up.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
algue

#8: Post by algue »

They are the sheets I was talking about (I use another brand, though).
Only laser paper is interesting. With inkjet you will obtain instable pictures only.
Clear paper is in my opinion more suitable because it leaves steel machine surface visible in the background. Remember that on clear paper you can't print white color (usually printers cannot print white)
On white paper you will obtain brigher colors, but the machine surface will not be visible on the background.