Settings for Auberins PID on 2009 Rancilio Silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
blueface

#1: Post by blueface »

Hi All..anybody installed the above? What's the on/off temp settings? Thanks.

TheJohnNewton

#2: Post by TheJohnNewton »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the on/off settings. I have one installed and all you have to set is the target temp. The PID then attempts to keep the machine as close to that temp as possible. I found the factory setting (220F or so) was too high for my machine. I currently have mine set at 216F though I've pulled decent shots as high as 218.

Advertisement
blueface (original poster)

#3: Post by blueface (original poster) »

Looks like the ideal temp. setting on the PID is bet. 216-217...any more input? Thks.

TheJohnNewton

#4: Post by TheJohnNewton »

It might be slightly different on your specific machine/coffee/etc. but that's a good place to start.

thefly

#5: Post by thefly »

blueface wrote:Looks like the ideal temp. setting on the PID is bet. 216-217...any more input? Thks.
I installed my Auber this week. Using a styrofoam cup measurement it seems that the difference in temp from the top of the boiler (where the PID measures) to the brewhead on my machine is 8 C (believe Suyi's papers say anywehere from 8 C to 10 C). The particular blend I am using at the moment calls for about 92.5 C (198.5 F) at brewhead. I have not finished adjusting it but have run some good shots at 101.5 C (~214.5 F).

This is lower then others have posted here but I think that this is due to how the Auber system works (and measures temp - location of sensor, type of sensor etc) compared to the system from PIDkits.

TheJohnNewton

#6: Post by TheJohnNewton »

I haven't tried measuring at the brewhead. Did you just pull a blank shot into a cup and measure that temp?

I'm still experimenting (really does that ever end?) and pulled some shots today at 215F which were pretty darn good. I'm not sure why they set it so high at the factory. I thought in the documentation they even mentioned the factory setting is "lower than some recommend" but I need to go back and re-read it. My taste tests tell me that leads to nothing but really bitter shots.

thefly

#7: Post by thefly »

This is what I did, please feel free to critique my technique as I may have made some incorrect assumptions.

First off I used my milk steaming thermometer and some styrofoam cups. I used an electric kettle to test the thermometer. Once the kettle was at a rolling boild (100 C) I poured the water into the cup with the thermomter. It quickly read 95 C. I repeated this several times. I then made my first assumption that I lose 5 C from the transfer and pour.

As I wanted to get 93.5 C from the brewhead and using my 5 C loss assumption, I was looking to get 88.5 C in the cup. I keep the thermometer in a cup of just off the boil water so that the gauge would be in the range as these quickly lose temp.

My first por was at 103 C on the auber PID. Cup temp was 90 C. I repeated a few times and the temp remained constant. I then dropped the PID to 101 and retested and got 88 C in the cup. Repeated a few times to confirm.

As I wanted 88.5 C in cup I moved PID to 101.5 C.

So this is what I have concluded/assumed:

1. Heat loss from brewhead to stryofoam cup of ~5C
2. For my machine difference of 8C from top of boiler to brewhead

The shots this morning of Epic at 101.5 C were quite good.

Advertisement
blueface (original poster)

#8: Post by blueface (original poster) »

I'm still waiting for my PID to arrive..just thinking, will it get in the way during coffee brewing since it's installed bet. the group head and steam wand. Care to share? Thks.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

Dave Stephens

TheJohnNewton

#10: Post by TheJohnNewton »

blueface wrote:I'm still waiting for my PID to arrive..just thinking, will it get in the way during coffee brewing since it's installed bet. the group head and steam wand. Care to share? Thks.
It's not a problem for me during brewing. Where it may be a problem is if/when you want to remove your steam wand. There isn't much or enough clearance between the PID unit and the steam want nut.

thefly - That sounds reasonable. I would only say you probably aren't losing 5c from your pour into the cup. It's more likely your thermometer is off by 5c at boiling. Have you tried sticking your thermometer directly in boiling water to see if it registers 100c?