Seeking input: Condensation on an Isomac Rituale pressure gauge

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Sherman

#1: Post by Sherman »

I've noticed some condensation on the inside glass of my pressure gauge. A quick search shows that I'm not the only one to have had this problem with an Isomac, but it wasn't a Rituale (it was a Millenium), and it was three years ago.

[edit] *sigh* another Millenium, only this time, back in February 2009...
I've removed the outer case and tested for leaks using the old "tubing in the outer ear" trick. Thankfully, I didn't hear anything. Inspection of the exit points on the boiler appear solid; no drips, no leaks. Inspection on the entry points on the gauge are similar - dry. The capillary tubes don't show any signs of fatigue.

About the only thing that I can diagnose at this point is that some mechanical part of the gauge itself, inside the body, has failed. I don't hear a hissing noise that would indicate a significant leak, and the gauges still seem to be functioning, so I guess my next step is to find a replacement gauge. Thankfully, the capillary tubes are separate from the gauge body, so I'm guessing that I just need to find a gauge that fits the shell.

I'd appreciate any insights, thoughts, or other ideas. I'll be ringing up 1st-line and Chris Coffee this week to see if either of them carry the dual gauge.

[edit] I just realized that, 3 weeks ago, I dialed up the pressurestat from 1.1 to 1.5 BAR in hopes of making microfoam easier. The deadband setting had it cycling just over 1.5 before it turned off, and between 1.3 and 1.4 when it turned the heating element back on. Prior to this change, I didn't notice any condensation. Could something this simple be the culprit?

As a precautionary measure, I've also turned the pressurestat down, so now it cycles between 1.1 and 1.2 at the low end, and 1.3 at the high end.

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sherman wrote:About the only thing that I can diagnose at this point is that some mechanical part of the gauge itself, inside the body, has failed.
I agree. If there is no steam leak within the casing and the gauge fittings are secure, all signs point to an internal failure of the gauge itself.
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Condensation is not usually a sign of a malfunction. The gauges are not airtight, and a tiny steam leak that's enough to raise the humidity inside the case will end up as condensation on the inside glass of the gauges. Tiny leaks usually get larger, and in a week or two, you may hear which nut needs to be tightened.

On the other hand, if you see standing water pooling at the bottom of the gauge, it has sprung a leak. I've had both; they are easy to distinguish.
Jim Schulman

Sherman (original poster)

#4: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

More details:

I'd left the Rituale on and uncovered for a few days, just to see if I could see or hear any drips or condensation in the lines. Not a trace of hissing or wetness, so I replaced the cover last night.

This morning, lo and behold, the condensation returned. I'm not sure of why this would be the case. I'm guessing that this points to a mechanical/physical failure inside of the housing of the gauge, odd as it may be.

I'm still searching for a dual pressure gauge - so far, the closest that I've come is with Tim over at Chris' Coffee, who has a Vetrano gauge. It doesn't seem like anyone else (EPNW, Stefano, WLL) carries this thing, or even anything similar.

I just have to go measure the back to the gauge and make sure that it'll fit. *sighs*

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288