Saeco not foaming milk anymore

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ves Paul

#1: Post by Ves Paul »

I like lots of foam, but it's just not happening anymore. When I first got the machine, I could make the foam come over the top of the pitcher. Now I get nothing but hot milk with a little dab of foam in the center. The machine is one of the lesser-likes. The Gran Crema has the "pressurized filter" and was bought at Target damaged. I've had it for about 2 years now and have kept it clean inside and out. The shots are good, but the steam wand is not cutting it. Would a backflush be the first course of action? Is it possible to backflush one of these types of machines? Maybe it's a loss of pressure? If so, what can I do.

Thanks, all.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

This problem has nothing to do with backflushing. It could be a hard-water scale problem, but check the instructions or the manufacturer before descaling as some descaling agents can damage aluminum.

Also, check the tip on the steam wand for milk buildup. If the tip comes off that is easy. If not, straighten a small paper clip and clean out the holes that way.

Anything else is likely more serious and will involve servicing which may be not worth it. Maybe the steam thermostat needs replacing.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Ves Paul (original poster)

#3: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Cool, Randy.
I'll try doctoring up the wand and checking out it's casing. If there's anything wrong internally I'll probably have to say goodbye to the best bargain I've ever had.

Ves Paul (original poster)

#4: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

It was the internal casing of the wand. I don't know how most look, but this wand is a pipe with an initial plastic cover and pin hole spout with an larger external casing to divert the steam. Despite the pin hole being clear, the internal cover had all these nasty milky build ups that needed serious flushing. I think I'll celebrate with another cap.

Thanks, Randy.