Rocket Giotto worked fine for 4 years, then just stopped!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Angelajohn

#1: Post by Angelajohn »

So I got my Rocket Giotto for Christmas in 2011, and it has worked fine for 4 years! But last year, before my son was born, it just stopped! I've ready a few threads about some tips (one gal said she strictly used bottled water and switched to tap and that fixed the issue) and i tried that but I haven't really tried because, I'm a novice with this thing and don't want to make things worse, anything else!

Basically, I can turn the machine on, I hear a click but the pump doesn't turn on with it, it won't build any pressure at all.

Someone help! We miss our delicious morning espresso!

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

So, the pump isn't turning on when you engage brew with the lever? Are the boilers heating up? How is the steam boiler pressure (Should be 1-1.5 bars, higher is fine, this is just to verify heat). Is the machine not detecting water, IE, if it has an empty water light, is it on?

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

Yeah, you're going to have to give us some status information from the machine. Do you have any indicator lights at all on the machine? On or off? The more info you can provide the more someone is likely to know what the issue is.

(I don't know the Giotto, but the manual says that if the light is flashing the water is low.)
LMWDP #445

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

DanoM wrote:Yeah, you're going to have to give us some status information from the machine.
Yes. There are a number of Rocket Giotto models: Classic, Premium, Premium Plus, Evoluzione, etc. Machines sold in 2011 I think would have a flashing power lamp when the reservoir water was low, unless it was an old Giotto Classic from old stock. If you know whether or not yours flashes when the reservoir needs filling that might help. Tip the machine up and check for a tag with model information and serial# on the underside of the machine.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Angelajohn (original poster)

#5: Post by Angelajohn (original poster) »

So here's a picture from under the machine...

Basically, the light comes on (It isn't flashing, it would if it was out of water), it takes about 3 seconds and then I hear a click, usually, this would be when the pump would engage to fill the boilers but that doesn't happen at all. The pressure gauge stays at 0, no water comes through the brew head if I lift that lever, and I get no steam either.

Sorry, like I said, super new to this! I appreciate all of your help in advance!

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

Angelajohn wrote:Basically, the light comes on (It isn't flashing, it would if it was out of water), it takes about 3 seconds and then I hear a click, usually, this would be when the pump would engage to fill the boilers but that doesn't happen at all.
Hard to tell for sure, but this indicates that it's probably not as simple as a bad reservoir level sensor. Your machine has a controller which takes input from the boiler level sensor and the reservoir level sensor and has relays that control power to the pump, the fill solenoid valve, and the heating element circuit. It also flashes the light if the reservoir level is low. Troubleshooting that controller might be a challenge depending on how electrically savvy you are, and it's too pricy to just replace it in the blind hope that it might be the problem. Here's a thread about a similar machine with a similar problem that should give you an idea what you're up against: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus won't start - Diagnostic help appreciated

Can anyone recommend a bay area espresso machine repair shop that might be able to fix a Rocket Giotto?

P.S.
There is a guy (who is an HB member - jpboyt) who specializes in testing/repairing controllers - Boyt Enterprises if you wanted to try removing it and sending it off for bench test and repair.
Pat

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

Angelajohn wrote:So here's a picture from under the machine...
That badge is a little less informative than the old ECM Giotto's, but I'm guessing based on the serial# that your machine is like this?
Pat

Alan Frew

#8: Post by Alan Frew »

There are 2 possibilities, either a failed relay in the brain box (otherwise known as the ECU, Electronic Control Unit) or in some machines there is a diode in one of the power lines leading to the pump. The diode is there to reduce radio interference in line with CE certification and can be bypassed with no ill effects. In both cases it looks like you'll need a machine tech who understands the electronics involved to diagnose the problem.

Alan

chipman

#9: Post by chipman »

Great Infusions in Santa Cruz has worked on my Giotto a couple of times over the years. They did a fine job each time.
http://greatinfusions.com

homeburrero
Team HB

#10: Post by homeburrero »

Alan Frew wrote:in some machines there is a diode in one of the power lines leading to the pump. The diode is there to reduce radio interference in line with CE certification and can be bypassed with no ill effects.
Good point! If the pump or diode were bad and the boiler was low, then would the controller energize the pump/solenoid and open the heater circuit? Certainly makes sense for it to do that. I think a qualified tech* could check for voltage at the controller wire to the pump. Also could ground the autofill probe, then check to see if that causes the heating element to get voltage. Sure would be an inexpensive fix.

*qualified tech => someone who understands the electronics and, most importantly, understands electrical hazards and precautions when working on energized equipment.
Pat