Rocket Giotto pressure adjustment

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
123reset

#1: Post by 123reset »

I have read there are 2 pressure adjustors with the Rocket: 1. is by turning a screw on the Sirai pressurestat, 2. the pressure of the rotary pump is adjustable.
Perhaps they don't both control the pressure at the group head, or perhaps one faces a choice as to which to adjust - can someone please explain?

Mark

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The Sirai pressurestat controls the steam boiler pressure; it's typically in the range of 1.0 to 1.2 bar. See How to adjust an espresso machine pressurestat for details.

The rotary pump controls the brew pressure; it's typically in the range of 8.0 to 9.5 bar. The pump pressure is adjusted via the bypass valve (#22 below). Turning it clockwise increases pressure, counter-clockwise reduces pressure. It's a sensitive adjustment, so turn no more than 1/4 turn before checking the brew pressure. Searching on "rotary pump pressure" found related discussions.

Fluid-o-Tech rotary pump; Procon pumps have similar adjustment
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
123reset (original poster)

#3: Post by 123reset (original poster) »

Hi Dan,
Sounds like the pressure gauge indicate steam pressure? It is not working which I why I have started working on it.
My Giotto has a vibrating pump model. Do you happen to know where / if I can adjust brew pressure with this pump, and do you know of a brew pressure gauge that can be attached permanently to the machine?
Cheers
Mark

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

See How can I adjust the brew pressure of a vibe pump espresso machine? If the onboard brew pressure gauge isn't working, use a portafilter with pressure gauge on it. Threads like Building a Portafilter Pressure Gauge show what others have cobbled together from hardware store parts.
Dan Kehn

123reset (original poster)

#5: Post by 123reset (original poster) »

Dan

I only have 1 gauge on my Giotto - I guess this does not provide brew pressure does it?

Mark

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Correct. It isn't uncommon for an espresso machine to have only the steam pressure gauge (ECM Giotto, La Valentina, Elektra Semiautomatica, Cimbali Junior, to name only a few). The dead giveaway which is which is the gauge's range; around 0 to 2 bar for steam pressure, 0 to 15 bar for brew pressure.
Dan Kehn