Rocket Cellini will not come up to temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bblakeky

#1: Post by bblakeky »

I have a two year old Rocket Cellini. It suddenly stopped coming up to brew temperature. It will not go above about 125 degrees at the brew head. I have consistently descaled every six months. Each time I notice only a slight hint of green so I don't think I have a scaling problem. Any ideas on repair?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

If you open the steam valve, does the steam boiler pressure gauge suddenly drop? If so, see Sticky vacuum breaker valve and Can someone please explain false pressure?
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
bblakeky (original poster)

#3: Post by bblakeky (original poster) »

I worked with it last night and the temperature did come back up to a max of 200 (at brew head), but it is overfilling the boiler. When I turn on the steam, the pressure holds but an excessive amount of water comes our before pure steam. Also it keeps cycling the water pump on and off about every 10 minutes. Normally it kicks in only once when heating up.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

There's a host of problems that can cause a boiler to overfill - in no particular order:

a. a film of deposits on the level probe
b. a leaking boiler fill solenoid valve
c. intermittently loose electrical connection between the level probe and control box
d. pin hole/crack in heat exchanger

From your description, I would opt for "c." as being the problem.

This thread details the proper water level - Pressure drop on Rocket Evoluzione during steaming
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#5: Post by bblakeky (original poster) »

Thanks, Eric!

#6: Post by bblakeky (original poster) »

erics wrote:There's a host of problems that can cause a boiler to overfill - in no particular order:

a. a film of deposits on the level probe
b. a leaking boiler fill solenoid valve
c. intermittently loose electrical connection between the level probe and control box
d. pin hole/crack in heat exchanger

From your description, I would opt for "c." as being the problem.

This thread details the proper water level - Pressure drop on Rocket Evoluzione during steaming
Had boiler fill valve replaced and it worked for about a week. Now the pump is cycling on and off. The pump sound is much weaker than normal. Pressure is fine. When I try to pull a shot, the pump comes on but pump pressure is weak and it shuts off before the pull is finished.

Thoughts?

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

If the pump is cycling on & off or at least appears to be from the sound and it "shuts off" before you end the shot, that could be a temperature safety on the pump acting up. If you look at the electrical connections on the pump, you will see a small "embedded" thermal switch inserted in a preformed pocket. It is Item 2 in the pic below (obviously different machine).

This switch can be EASILY & safely bypassed electrically as a temporary fix - assuming that is the cause. Otherwise, it may be time for a new pump.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com