Restoring my new Pasquini - Page 6

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cannonfodder
Team HB

#51: Post by cannonfodder »

Nope, although I had a set of Cocobolo on a lever machine. That is tight grained stabilized Bocote. Lathes are fun, been spinning my machine most of the day working on a couple of projects.
Dave Stephens

Ross Leidy (original poster)

#52: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

Dave - interesting that I chose the same wood for my panel. It does look nice.

Ross
Ross Leidy

#53: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

I've got the panel installed with new indicator lamps. One of them had been burnt-out, so I replaced them both so the bezels would be identical. It's not so easy finding 220v lamps!

I also determined that one of the flowmeters was bad, because I could program the auto dosing on whichever control pad was attached to one of the flowmeters but not the other. Got one on order from espressoparts.

Both steam wand valves probably should be rebuilt because I really have to crank on them to get them to close fully. That's probably not good. And, I may be heading for a pump replacement (I posted in a new thread). We'll see.

Here's the current state:
Ross Leidy

mute

#54: Post by mute »

I'm not usually a wood fan, but that bezel really looks great! Can't wait to see more.

mhoy

#55: Post by mhoy »

Looking really nice there. With a bit of care you could use a drill press as a make shift lathe. So you can match up your handles. See http://www.instructables.com/id/Drill-Press-Lathe/

BTW: Stefano at http://www.espressocare.com also has the 220v indicator lamps. I almost accidentally ordered them for my Elektra rebuild. Luckily he phone me and I switched to the 110v ones.

Mark

#56: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

I've been working on a couple odds-and-ends on my project. I bought a bottomless PF recently, and while it fit the machine, the bayonets were not as thick as those on the existing PF, so I couldn't tighten it up enough to keep it from leaking when in use. I made a thin gasket to go underneath the rubber group gasket. I used a roll of material from the auto parts store. With it in place, I get a nice, tight seal with the new PF.

I also needed to replace one of the flowmeters. I've had some problems finding replacement parts that are shown on the Bezzera exploded diagrams, so I've improvised with homemade substitutes. On the flowmeter, the brass fitting is supposed to tighten against a ptfe tube. This was missing on the original flowmeter (the last person to service the machine used tons of teflon tape to achieve a watertight fit - almost). I punched some disks from a silicone potholder that seem to be working as a substitute.

I still need to do something about the motor. I've looked into having the existing one repaired, but just to have someone look at it will cost me $75. I'm planning to just order a new one.

That's the progress so far.

Ross
Ross Leidy

#57: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd post an update photo with the (mostly) finished machine, and post a query to the group. The restoration got set aside for a bit while I remodeled my basement workshop. The Pasquini now has its own home in the corner of the workshop, and ready at an hour's notice ( :) ) to make some brew. It's a little crowded, but less than it would be up in the kitchen. Someday, I'll trade-up to a single group that'll fit in the kitchen. Until then, I'll use this lovely to satisfy my craving. Here's the latest:

Now, I'd like to add a vacuum breaker so that I can put the machine on a timer and have it up to temperature in the morning. The immediately obvious places that might accommodate a retrofit are on the boiler where the steam tube and pressure gauge attach (arrows below on pre-refurb interior). These are male fittings on the boiler. Does this look like a reasonable place to add a vacuum breaker? If not, where else could I add one? I saw one at CC that has a barbed fitting for a drain tube - looks like a great idea. Do the breakers have to be oriented vertically? Thanks for all suggestions!

Ross
Ross Leidy

Juanjo

#58: Post by Juanjo »

GREAT JOB..

indeed a vacuum breaker need to be vertically and on the top part of the boiler.
if that T is from the steam I'd put the VB there..
cheers,
Juanjo

#59: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

Juanjo,
Thanks for the suggestion - I'm not sure that would be the ideal place because there's not much vertical space between that fitting an the top tray. However, I did find an unused plug in the boiler face plate that might work. The top of the plug is down roughly an inch from the top of the boiler, so I'm guessing it's above water level. Does anyone see an issue with installing an elbow there with the vacuum breaker on top? There's plenty of room and I wouldn't have to alter any existing fittings. It looks promising to me. After an auto-fill, I'll remove the plug and check to see if it's above the water level.

Ross
Ross Leidy

JmanEspresso

#60: Post by JmanEspresso »

Wow, that machine looks beautiful. Ive never even seen any machine by pasquini, besides the Livia 90, let along a two group. Really awesome looking... The wood Bezel is superb. Im a BIG fan of woodwork... Juanjo turned me a handle which fits on my La Marzocco portafilter, and I love using it. Wood is such a natural product.. Idk what it is about it that makes me like it so much, but what I do know, is nicely grained wood matches anything, and looks great on everything :)

Enjoy the 'spro my man!