Residual Dezcal in HX Boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
csader

#1: Post by csader »

I've been following these instructions for descaling my La Spaziale New EK 1 HX boiler using Dezcal: http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Descal ... er-d74.htm

The New EK is a plumbed-in machine, so I pumped in the Dezcal solution from a bucket in my sink.

Problem I'm having now is that I can't seem to get all of the Dezcal to rinse out of the boiler (using the baking soda test and getting lots of fizz). I've rinsed with at least 4 buckets worth of water (emptied/refilled the boiler at least 8 times). Starting to get worried that I will never get all of the Dezcal out.

Ideas? Have I just not rinsed enough? I'm afraid I'm going to burn out my pump before I can get this rinsed well enough.

csader (original poster)

#2: Post by csader (original poster) »

Changed the topic name. Not sure why I said Steam boiler...in talking about the main boiler, not the HX tube.

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

You may have to try to remove a fitting from the top of the boiler and siphon it out, though with enough rinsing you should be able to get the job done.
Scott
LMWDP #248

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by contraflow88 »

Let the Dezcal do its job, its in there still so its obviously still dissolving and loosening up scale. Also you have to make sure the steam wand is being utilized to help rinse.

csader (original poster)

#5: Post by csader (original poster) replying to contraflow88 »

My (limited) understanding is that the La Spaziale HX system doesn't allow for anything but steam to come out of the steam wand. That is, I've never been able to get a stream of water to come out of the steam wand, only a very limited supply of wet steam just before dry.

Is there a step I'm missing to be able to rinse with the steam wand?

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by contraflow88 »

Your doing fine, keep purging from the steam wand, and brew head until there is no trace of dezcal. Yes you will get some water when you first purge the steam wand, it's just condensation. Just let the steam run until your pump cycles. Then wait a while then flush the brew head, and follow this order as much as needed.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

{general comments as I do not know the specifics of this machine}
Opening the steam wand and removing the water level sensor should allow the bolier to completely fill with water to overflowing. Be sure to: 1 - use a twist tie to keep the vacuum relief valve closed at all times, and 2 - DO NOT TURN THE MACHINE ON UNLESS THE STEAM VALVE IS OPEN while the water level sensor is disconnected. If you do, the pressure safety valve will open and likely spray water all over the inside of the machine. Don't ask me how I know.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done