Reservoir setup for ECM Giotto Classic

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
natmat

#1: Post by natmat »

Hello all,

I've just bought a barely used ECM Giotto Classic and discovered that it lacks a water reservoir. All it has now is a long tube on the pump inlet. I presume the previous owner 'fed' the pump from an external bottler/filter.

Does anyone have any (actual, or links to) pictures of the reservoir setup that I need please?

I'm not sure it actually intended to have a reservoir because there's no pop-out panel under the cup holder for internal access; everything is bolted down. Maybe these were never reservoir fed. I found a source for a Rocket reservoir, but maybe that's not the way to go.

Can anyone advise me?

Nathan (an E61 newbie)

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Does your reservoir compartment look like this?

If so, you want the old style rocket/ecm giotto classic tank. For example,
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Rocket ... 1p3505.htm , which Is currently listed as out of stock - but you might call to see if they can still get one. With that one, be sure you also get the two supports/probes and the plug.

It should have two plastic hoses into the reservoir - one for the pump inlet, and another that connects to a tee that has a line to the pump priming valve and a line to the OPV valve. More pics of what the reservoir looks like can be found in this thread: Diagnosing Dead ECM Giotto
natmat wrote:I found a source for a Rocket reservoir, but maybe that's not the way to go.
The one with a round well and o-ring fitting at the bottom is for the newer Rocket premium Giottos. If it's for a Rocket Giotto classic, it should work in the ECM Giotto classic - check with the vendor to make sure.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

natmat (original poster)

#3: Post by natmat (original poster) »

Hi, thanks for quick reply.

The innards of my Giotto look like your linked article, where there is space for a tank. However, the panel on the top of my Giotto doesn't have a cut-out for a tank, so even if it had a tank it it would not be removable (without removing 4 screws each time and removing the entire top metal panel) nor easy to fill in place with the current setup. So I would need to have some metalwork cutting done to provide an access hole to put it in/out.

Also the is only one water pipe, the pump inlet. The OPV outlet plumbs to the front panel, I don't think there's a pump primer tube (though will check). I'll take a photo and post it.

But it looks like I'll be feeding it from an external bottle/source of water.