Reservoir level sensor flaky, bad level control box?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PeterDC

#1: Post by PeterDC »

I have an older HX machine, a Brasilia Cappuccino, which seems to have developed an issue sensing water in the reservoir lately. I'm wondering if this is a sign my GICAR (model RL30-3ES) level control is starting to fail.

My machine has two water level sensors, one in the boiler (probe style) which is working fine, and another on the reservoir, which consists of two bolts through the side of the reservoir connected to the control box. When water overtops the first, the machine operates normally, when the level falls below the top bolt the pump is disabled.

Recently even when the reservoir is filled the machine does not seem to sense it properly, and I can hear the pump relay in the control box flipping on and off very quickly. Oddly when the machine warms up a bit, this issue seems to be reduced, but has steadily gotten worse, such that waiting for it warm up doesn't really work. When I jump the two bolts on the reservoir the pump appears to run as desired.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'd prefer not to leave the reservoir sensor permanently jumped.

Is this a sign that my control box is losing some sensitivity/dying? I've poked around and not seen a replacement for this particular model.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

If jumping the two bolts makes it work properly then I do not think that there is a problem with the control box. I would first start by cleaning the bolts. Maybe using some descaler followed by some fine wet-dry or a nylon scrubbing pad. Also check the electrical connections to the bolts for corrosion or oxidation.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

PeterDC (original poster)

#3: Post by PeterDC (original poster) »

Randy,

You were completely correct. The bolts were so corroded though that I decided to replace them. Quite a challenge to get to the inside of the bolt head on my reservoir. Of course the replacement is has a leak, so I'm going to have to pull it all apart again!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm on the right path forward and eager to enjoy homemade espresso again.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

PeterDC wrote:Randy,

You were completely correct..
With over 3000 posts here on HB odds are I have to be right once in a while! ;-)
Glad it was that simple. I do not know how those bolts mount, but using the white (light duty) teflon tape, it can be sort of twisted into a "rope" strand. Tighten the bolt leaving about 1 to 2 mm of space then wind the teflon "string" around to fill the gap below the bolt's head (or under the washer depending on which side it is going), as it is wound around the bolt. The teflon will form a gasket as it compresses when torquing the hardware.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

PeterDC (original poster)

#5: Post by PeterDC (original poster) »

That's a great tip. I was already half way through replacing the bolts, so I only used it on one, but I'll remember it in the future. I also picked up some neoprene washers and had already used them on the outside of the tank (not food safe).

One small concern I have is that originally the head of the bolt was on the inside of the tank with the nut on the outside. I reversed this as it was much easier to install. I worry that the threads will corrode/scale to the point where I can't move the nuts. On the other hand, by the time they get to the point of needing another replacement I should probably go about replacing the whole tank (which oddly enough is from an Italian scientific chemistry supply company!)

Thanks again.