Replacing an Ulka pump

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jhopple

#1: Post by jhopple »

Hey Guys-

So I just replaced the vibratory pump on my La Valentina. It was very straight forward, but I feel like there is something I missed. Now when I switch it on, it does not draw any water and the pump just makes a humming sound like it is struggling. I tried opening the steam valve and that did nothing. Is there some kind of priming I am supposed to do; could I have crossed some wires? I was not able to find any good pictures or instructions on how to do this correctly. As of now, my machine is simply a decoration.

Thanks,

-John

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Did you replace it with a different pump, or the same pump? Yes, I know that the subject says "Ulka", but it also says "replacing", and you don't say what you replaced it with; I could assume that you replaced it with an Ulka, but I hate to assume.

Fluid-o-Tech pumps, in particular, require a diode be placed in-line on the power.

Other than that, you could certainly try priming the pump and see if that helps get it going.
LMWDP #331

Advertisement
AngerManagement

#3: Post by AngerManagement »

As stated above... Same or different pump..

In addition to the electrical; the output fitting can be a plastic OR a brass. Either way, they have a one way valve in the end. Have seen some users, change fittings that use a longer thread as party of a rebuild and replacement of old parts.

Thus when all assembled, the fitting goes to deep and compresses / smashes the valve and thus it no longer works as it should...
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

jhopple (original poster)

#4: Post by jhopple (original poster) »

So I replaced what I think was a 40 watt Ulka with a 52 Watt EAX5 Ulka. It was my understanding that this one would work fine. So what do I do to prime the pump anyway?

mini

#5: Post by mini »

Priming the pump is mainly about filling the entire line leading up to the pump with water. Vibratory pumps don't have much draw with air in the line. I would try carefully pouring some water into the line with it raised above pump level (or maybe using a dropper/baster). It should be just a matter of pulsing the pump on/off and adding water. Careful not to run your pump dry more than about 10 seconds at a time to prevent overheating.

Your symptoms sound very similar to what happens when I let my tank run dry.
matt

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

The La Valentina SHOULD BE fitted with an air release/priming valve attached to the pump and thus you should not NEED to prime anything.

Please provide some X-rated pics of your machine.

If the pump is simply humming(?), that is exactly symptomatic of what Allon described but the diode is built-in to the Ulka pumps as compared to being a "mandatory accessory" with the Fluid-o-Tech pumps.

Are you the original owner? Send me an email and I will send you the parts catalog.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com