Replacing ULKA pump in Salvatore

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bogiesan

#1: Post by bogiesan »

My apologies ahead of time if this has been covered, just point me to the threads. My several search attempts returned either hundreds of unrelated threads or zero threads ("words too common").

My old Salvatore's ULKA Type E started making weird noises a few weeks ago. After listening to it brew 5-10 shots each of the last 3,000 mornings, my ears said something was definitely going wrong.

Then it started to express a few drops of water at the output side during each morning's brewing frenzy. Today I am no longer getting adequate brewing pressure and the pump has a pathetic and anemic tonal quality.

Mechanically speaking, the vibrating pump is the only thing between the reservoir and the brewhead unless there is a reason to suspect the three-way valve. It seems to work; switching off the pump shoots water to the drain tray as always. Although, come to think of it, for the last many months, brewing causes a few drops of water to drip from the valve outlet into the tray.

Assuming I acquire a replacement ULKA pump, changing it out does not look difficult but I would appreciate any advice or warnings.
Looks like a simple procedure: (My first step will be to take a few pictures!)

1. Disconnect mains power and remove power lugs from pump body
2. Carefully remove the brass connections and the copper pipe at the pressure side
3. Carefully unscrew the brass vacuum connection from the pump body
4. Unbolt the pump from the rubber shock absorber
5. Perform same steps in reverse order after replacing thread tape.

??

david boise ID

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

It's hard to diagnose a pump problem without a pressure gauge, but generally speaking, low flow means an obstruction at the inlet or the pump's internal valve is stuck. The thread Repairing a ULKA vibratory pump offers links to a site with detailed disassembly/diagnosis instructions.
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

bogiesan wrote:After listening to it brew 5-10 shots each of the last 3,000 mornings . . .
I would judge that the dues have been fully paid. In addition to Dan's EXCELLENT link, I would advise that, should you decide to do the easy disassembly, be careful about dropping some of the internal parts (small balls and springs). Unfortunately, there is, AFAIK, no "rebuild kit" available for these pumps.

If you use teflon tape on the male fittings, leave the first two threads bare. Consider also replacing the rubber mounts - the difference between new and old can be quite noticeable.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

@ < $0.003 per shot, just replace it.

The seat / piston could be damaged and a rebuild could be all for naught.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mgwolf »

It's Monday tomorrow, call up Salvatore's store. They have very good customer service and most likely will be a great deal of help. Michael

bogiesan (original poster)

#6: Post by bogiesan (original poster) »

It's Monday tomorrow, call up Salvatore's store. They have very good customer service and most likely will be a great deal of help. Michael
Yar, I've been corresponding with Wendy every other year since the day my machine arrived for replacement head gaskets and the odd part. Got her message yesterday; the pump is "user- replaceable" and is about $100 plus shipping.

I have never regretted this purchase and try to recommend Salvatore to those looking in that specific feature/price range.

david boise ID

bogiesan (original poster)

#7: Post by bogiesan (original poster) »

HB wrote:It's hard to diagnose a pump problem without a pressure gauge, but generally speaking, low flow means an obstruction at the inlet or the pump's internal valve is stuck. The thread Repairing a ULKA vibratory pump offers links to a site with detailed disassembly/diagnosis instructions.
Excellent, don't know how I missed that link but I'm all over it now.
Thanks for correcting my spelling, too.

david boise ID

rbh1515

#8: Post by rbh1515 »

bogiesan wrote:Yar, I've been corresponding with Wendy every other year since the day my machine arrived for replacement head gaskets and the odd part. Got her message yesterday; the pump is "user- replaceable" and is about $100 plus shipping.

I have never regretted this purchase and try to recommend Salvatore to those looking in that specific feature/price range.

david boise ID
David,
Salvatore makes a quality machine. My dad's machine is about 6 years old and has never had problems. It sounds like his pump may also be ready for replacement. Salvatore tends to be very expensive for parts. You can also get pumps from other dealers such as Chris Coffee. He has a Ulka which may be the one you need for around $50. May be worth looking into it.
Rob

DennisL

#9: Post by DennisL »

David,

Rob's advice to you is exactly what I did on my Salvatore. I went ahead and ordered 2 from Chris. Just check your part number on the pump.

Dennis