Replacing the temperature light on rancilio silvia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
freddosega

#1: Post by freddosega »

Hi again fine people,

I want to replace the temperature light on my silvia. Is this a difficult job? Where is best source to purchase the replacement bulb. I've been without it for a couple of years - and I kind of think I might be wise to replace it so I can maximize the quality of my pulls.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. If it's already been posted somewhere, I guess you can just point for me :D

Cheers

chris

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

I'm not familiar with silvia's construction nor operation but I'll take a stab at this, as I just replaced the light in my machine. (I thought the light on the silvia was inside the switch but i could be mistaken. Either way, its the same procedure to replace a switch or a light). Be warned though, you will probably void any existing warranty and any harm that may befall you is only your responsibility. Anyways... Basically, unplug the machine, and remove casing panels on the machine until you can reach the dead part. Take a photo or draw a diagram of the wiring, noting colors and position of wires. Disconnect wires from the part and then it should pop out by squeezing some kind of retainers on the part. Sometimes those retainers can be pretty stiff, and easiest just to cut them off and pop the part out. Then do all of this in reverse for the installation of the new part. I would test it before putting the panels back on, just to make sure everything got hooked up properly.

To find replacement parts, look on espressoparts.com or if you need them in a hurry, you can find substitute parts that will function the same but may look slightly different at an electronics supply store or maaaaybe at a radioshack. Good luck! Any other questions, just throw them at us!

Edit: here's what you are looking for: http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1026 or http://espressocare.com/Qstore/Qstore.c ... ator+Light
This is really a generic/common part though and you could most likely find a similar if not identical part at your local electronics supply store.

Advertisement
Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

I assume that you are speaking of the heating element activity lamp. If I recall, the light snaps in from the front (from memory here is what you do):
1 - DISCONNECT the machine from the wall socket!!! (and wait for the machine to cool if necessary)
2 - Remove the top cup warmer (4 screws)
3 - The light is easily seen inside.
4 - Take a digital photo of the wires in there.... just in case.
5 - Use needle nose pliers and pull the wire off the lamp. Wiggle and pull straight back using care not to slip and damage other parts.
6 - The backside of the lap has tabs that need to be depressed to be able to push the lamp assembly out the front of the machine. That can be tricky as there is little room to work and the tabs can be hard to push and hold and then at the same time pushing the lamp out the front. A TRICK: Wrap some dental floss or fishing line around the lamp on the front panel, and have someone else pull on the lamp while you press the tabs in.
7 - Reassemble.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

freddosega (original poster)

#4: Post by freddosega (original poster) »

thanks all. I will certainly get on it...