Reneka Techno's issues.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Theodore

#1: Post by Theodore »

Hi.
I have a Reneka Techno,for about 8 years,having change two elecrovalves,and decalcify it a couple of times.
I have seen recently,that when I turn it on,after some time,I hear a fsssh,and after that,a vzzzzh,which I can stop,when I turn the machine off and immediately on.
Also,I see something else.Sometimes,when I open the hot water outlet,pushing the button,the hot water,quantity,is way more than usual,together with a lot of steam,which is not exist,usually.
I have put the brew temp,to 94C,and the hot water/steam temp,to 121,which is the max. temp available.
If you don't know anything about Techno,here is a review of it.
http://home.planet.nl/~rjeroenv/brewing ... eview.html
Espresso uber alles.

keepitsimple

#2: Post by keepitsimple »

Hello, Theodore

I don't have a categoric solution to your problem, but from my own use of the Techno, I can put forward some theories.

Mine is the later version of the Techno, so it may not work in exactly the same way.

I think there is a sequence of events that takes place on first switch on which is something like this:-

The brew boiler heater kicks in until the boiler is up to a fairly high temperature (although not yet stabilised), and then switches off. The flashing lights corresponding to the brew boiler being under temperature then stop.

The steam boiler heater then kicks in, but at that point there's also a solenoid click which (I think) is the steam valve opening very briefly to release any vacuum that was created in the steam boiler as it cooled down. As far as I know there isn't a vacuum breaker in the steam boiler and I'm guessing this does the job instead, although the steam boiler isn't controlled by a pressurestat so it isn't vital. On rare occasions when switching mine on from cold, this "click" hasn't happened. The machine still heated properly, BUT the steam boiler was very noisy (rumbling as it heated) which I put down to the water boiling in a vacuum. From the noise you describe, I'm wondering if the steam solenoid valve is getting a bit stuck and buzzing, especially if it is sorted out if you switch off and on again ? You mention that you have to descale from time to time, and also that you've replaced some valves in the past.

I don't run my steam boiler as hot as you, but I can't see that being a problem as there's an over temperature alarm that will switch the heater off (and flash signal lights) if it hits 130, and it doesn't sound as if that happens.

It does sound as if the water level in the steam boiler is low, and you are sometimes getting a mixture of steam and water. The water and steam doses are done on a time basis (as you know, the brew dose is done on a volumetric basis) so if you get a mixture of steam and water, that will impact on the volume you get. The Techno will check for low water level in the steam boiler and give you an alarm - I'm wondering if the level probe isn't working as it should ?

There are other experienced Techno users on here who I'm sure will chime in.

Where did you buy it from ? Techno sellers have a reputation for being very helpful, as are Reneka themselves

Hope you get it sorted.

Theodore (original poster)

#3: Post by Theodore (original poster) »

Hi Rob.
Thank you for your response.
I can add this.
I have seen a couple of times,the over temperature alarm you say,but no more,but I don't know how the machine will give me an alarm for low water level.
I see a red light blinking,next to the always lit green light over the ECO knob, at the right of it,but I don't know what it means.
I bought it by the Greek dealer,who has serviced it when necessary.
Espresso uber alles.

keepitsimple

#4: Post by keepitsimple »

Hi again, Theodore

According to my "Technical Documentation" a low water level in the steam boiler is indicated as follows (quote)

"The heating LED (LCH) remains off, other LED's blink rapidly"

LCH is the heating element LED at the top left.

I don't have a red LED on mine - but there is an amber LED under the water level symbol - top right of the keyboard (I think it's called LNA in the documentation). This puzzled me at first when it started to blink and I had to find the book ! It means that the water volume programmed into the machine before the water filter/softener need to be replaced or regenerated has been reached. You reset it by switching the machine off, and holding down the hot water key as you switch it back on. You can also adjust the volume that flows before the alarm is activated again - have a look at page 3 of the Technical documentation "Program for regeneration signal adjustment".

I think I'd call your original dealer for help, but failing that get in touch with Reneka.com
+33 (0) 388 494 050 - they may have a problem speaking Greek with you, but English (or French !) will be fine.

Theodore (original poster)

#5: Post by Theodore (original poster) »

Thank you very much Rob.I think,that I did not reset the changing filter program,when I changed the filter,because I did not know how to do it.
Regards,
Theodore.
Espresso uber alles.

DavidMLewis

#6: Post by DavidMLewis »

Hi Theodore,

The level probe consists of a wire at the back of the machine that goes through a white sleeve that seems to be some kind of reinforced Nylon, and then is captured by a nut. On my machine, that wire has had a tendency to work up through the sleeve over time, and I've had to occasionally loosen the nut and tap the wire back down through the sleeve. Since you have hard water, apparently, you should probably take it all the way off and clean the wire with a green scrubby, since it seems like you could have a high water level in the steam boiler.

Best,
David