Removing dent from side panel of machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
brianl

#1: Post by brianl »

For the vetrano 2b. I didn't notice right away but came across a dent in the side panel that isn't that noticeable unless you are level with it. I think it might be from moving the machine with my hand in the middle of the side panel. Rookie mistake. The dent appears to go most of the width of the panel but there is a pressure point for sure in the middle.

I tried using suction cups and the ole hairdryer followed by spraying with compressed air while can is upside down to no avail. I didn't buy a specific suction cup thing for dents based on the lack of success so far. I thought about removing the case and putting it on a microfiber cloth on a flat surface and press it out a little but not sure if I want to attempt. Any other stuff I could try?

Finally, how much would it typically be trying to get a replacement Shell vs an auto body shop. Is there another professional beyond an auto body?

bluesman

#2: Post by bluesman »

A pic would help, but perfectly flat surfaces free of irregularities may be an unrealistic expectation for polished SS. Your Vetrano's certainly more robust than my Lelit - but unless it has unbelievable torsional rigidity, it will twist a tiny bit whenever force is applied to a side or corner. This can cause enough stretching & flexing of the affected panels over underlying unyielding bits to create very minor surface irregularities many of which you can't even feel - but you can see them. And you wouldn't see most of them if the panels were painted.

I restored a polished alloy series 1 Lotus 7 - this will drive you batty on a mirror-finished car! If I were you, I'd learn to live with it because you'll spend a fortune, eat yourself up, and still have an imperfect panel somewhere.

Advertisement
Art C

#3: Post by Art C »

Go to a couple of auto body shops and ask who is the best "paintless dent repair" guy. (Sometimes these fellas work out of a van and service several shops). A good one will tell you whether it can be straightened to your satisfaction. The cost should be quite reasonable.
FWIW I suspect the deformation came from something more forceful than mere lifting or moving.