Refurbishing Rancilio Silvia V1 to V3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Couloirman

#1: Post by Couloirman »

I found a smoking deal for an old V1 silvia in unknown condition except that it definitely turns on. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost me to get it refurbished? Has anyone else done this before? If I were to refurb then install a PID, would the V1 perform essentially as well as the newer V3? Im just trying to gauge whether or not it would be worth my time and trouble or should I just shell out the 850 for a brand new one. Thanks guys!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

I am not sure what is designated as a V1 Silvia. The "true" v1, the earliest versions, had a bolt-in heating element. the next version had the element welded into the boiler top half.

step 1 - backflush and descale and see what happens in regards to operation.

step 2 - basic overhaul - replace steam valve seat and O rings along with steam wand o-rings. Replace group gasket.

step 3 - replace shower screen. Either replace brew thermostat or install PID.

step 4 - if needed, replace boiler top half and boiler seal o-ring. At this point consider the upgrade to teh adjustable pressure-relief valve.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

yamhill

#3: Post by yamhill »

If you're handy at all, go through it yourself. Almost anything you want to do to it has been documented with pictures here or somewhere else on the Internet. You'll at least want to familiarize yourself with the brew head by removing the shower screen and cleaning things there and by go through the descaling process. This might be all it needs, or it might need a complete tear down, cleaning, and re-assembly.

Good luck - or maybe you're already up and running. Let us know what you do.