Rebuild of La Marzocco Linea 4AV.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
coffeekam

#1: Post by coffeekam »

Hi everyone,
where to begin...

I've been on this forum several times, but never really got the opportunity to get involved with the forum.But here I am now!
So here is the story:
a few days ago i randomly decided to search "La Marzocco" in the local craigslist. Purely out of curiosity. And so i found a LM Linea 4AV. I don't think the guy knew what he hand on his hands, because a short drive and 250$ later, I cam home with the 210 lbs espresso machine.

He told me that he got it from Starbucks about 2 years ago. He never got around to fixing it or selling it. With winter around the corner, i guess he needed the space in the garage.

It's dated 2001, and seemed in ok condition.

I haven't wasted any time since i got it. Already got to stripping of machine, washing parts in citric acid and major cleaning etc

The main issue with the machine seems to be that both group head boilers had cracked at the end caps. They've been sent to get welded today.
I'm clearly very excited about fixing this machine. I'll be very honest, i have limited knowledge in this kind of work. I've stripped my old motorcycle once, but that's about it.

So far i've been very reliant on this forum and wanted to thank everyone in advance for the help.

Here are some pics of the Linea before i got my hands on it. Will updated other pics and questions soon
Cheers!

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

You're gonna run that behemoth in your home?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mitch236 »

That's a monster but if you plan on using it in your home, you could disconnect one of the brew boilers and run it as a 2 group with a huge steam boiler!!

Better yet, rebuild it, clean it up and sell it!!! (Or open a cafe!)

Congrats and good luck!

coffeekam (original poster)

#4: Post by coffeekam (original poster) »

Ha!
Well i'm still not sure what i'll do with it. Might stick with my initial idea of giving myself a project, then sell it.

There are a few parts missing:
for some reason he gave me a cup tray for a 3 group, so i'll have to come up with a way to make that work or spend $ on a 4 group tray.
also missing is a front drain tray. got the 4 grills but no drain box

godlyone

#5: Post by godlyone »

Nice project - check out mine if you need some pics/help:
Restoring a 2 group La Marzocco Linea with Frozen Water Damage!

Do you have any pictures of the damage to the groupheads ?

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee »

coffeekam wrote:Ha!
Well i'm still not sure what i'll do with it. Might stick with my initial idea of giving myself a project, then sell it.

There are a few parts missing:
for some reason he gave me a cup tray for a 3 group, so i'll have to come up with a way to make that work or spend $ on a 4 group tray.
also missing is a front drain tray. got the 4 grills but no drain box
FWIW Linea 4grp has 4 sections for the cup warmer, 2 lrg 2 sm. Looks like you might just missing one of them. However those four sections sit on top of a solid tray that fits full side to side and back to front (behind groups), that I didn't notice/see.

Appears you have the "cool" chrono touchpad. No need for shot timer! (one of my 4grps has the chrono, other 4gr and 3gr don't boo-hoo)
Mike McGinness

#7: Post by coffeekam (original poster) »

godlyone wrote:Nice project - check out mine if you need some pics/help:
Restoring a 2 group La Marzocco Linea with Frozen Water Damage!

Do you have any pictures of the damage to the groupheads ?
hey,
thanks. i've been following your project very closely. I know there are several other people with similar projects and I have the site open all day. Thank god.

The damage was to the steam boilers
here are some other random pics i took.

#8: Post by coffeekam (original poster) »

I contacted the Canadian sales rep in Montreal to see if I could get parts. He was helpful and mentioned that they have many parts for the Linea.

Good eye mike and thanks for the info.It looks like i'm missing a small section. Will have to see if i can buy the section separate as well as the tray.
Alsp missing is the bottom drain tray.

hmm, not sure what the chrono touchpad is just yet??

allon

#9: Post by allon »

Hm, looks like it might be freeze damage.
Not a showstopper, but you might find things broken where you didn't expect them to be, like the flowmeters....
LMWDP #331

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Yup, that is damage from a freeze. Those are the brew boilers not the steam. The 4AV has two brew boilers, one for each two groups then one bathtub size steam boiler. You are going to need a big 240 circuit to power that thing up. You also need a pump since those are out boarded if I remember correctly.
Dave Stephens