Rebuild Kits or Source For Ulka EP5 Pump Parts? - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
hperry

#21: Post by hperry »

dracon wrote:CIV and others...
What do you think about this idea? Asking if home-barista.com would create a new Forum Section specifically for listing machines with compatible replacement parts, and identifying compatible parts. Details below.
I don't think it is worth the time and bother unless I judge that my time is worth nothing. Far too much output for too little gained AFAIAC.
Hal Perry

dracon (original poster)

#22: Post by dracon (original poster) »

Alan Frew wrote:...Point I was trying to make is that you can buy an ULKA pump for around USD$20.00 wholesale, admittedly only in quantity....
Well, the point I've been making is that I'm approaching this entirely from the home brewer's perspective...not a commercial venture. So virtually all purchases are going to be qty=1, at full retail. And, from what I read on the home page, home users is kinda the entire point of this website.

This is just one more home user trying to do something to hold costs down while keeping the machine operating at optimum levels and learning more about the mechanics of the espresso maker in the process. Something I'd wager all DIYers/home-tinkerers can appreciate.

As for prices, I didn't find what seems to be a reliable source for an Ulka EP5 for less than US$55 nor could I find an retail source for an equivalent pump (aka a second source)...which if Ulka stops making the pump or goes out of business will be a major problem for a lot of people. And as I noted earlier the stated shipping costs are generally quite a bit higher than they need to be. I've had heavier packages of less than US$10 worth of electronic parts shipped for about half the cost typically charged by the pump distributors. So, charging more $ to ship what is undoubtedly a higher profit-margin product seems like a total rip-off to me.

I've seen other threads here on home-barista.com where home users even make their own parts, and are congratulated for doing it, so I don't understand what seems to be disparagement of this line of discussion.

hperry

#23: Post by hperry »

dracon wrote: I've seen other threads here on home-barista.com where home users even make their own parts, and are congratulated for doing it, so I don't understand what seems to be disparagement of this line of discussion.
Strictly cost/benefit for me. Not worth spending 2-4 hours to save $30. YMMV.
Hal Perry