Rancilio Silvia - which tamper?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
atmarine

#1: Post by atmarine »

I just got my first Silvia and she is great. I have pulled about a dozen shots and its pretty neat to see how different things effect the final cup

Question is which tamper have you folks found to work? I know it says a 58mm portafilter, but with the double basket in the portafilter and a 58mm tamper, it seems to hit the small ridge in the basket. This prevent a full tamp on the puck. Is a tamper available with a rounded bottom corner to clear this? Or is a different basket needed, or a 57mm tamper, or..? I have used a 58mm tamper, and then the small plastic one that is included with the Silvia. Any suggestion here are more than welcome!

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Zach,

If the ridge is hitting your tamper and you already have a 58mm tamper, just buy a new double ridgeless basket. It'll set you back $10 - $12 with shipping. Remember, that's a double, not a triple. You'll need a bottomless portafilter for a triple.

Welcome to HB!
Merle

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Try using more coffee. Loosely fill the basket fully, or nearly so. Level off straight across the top of the basket, then tamp. See my "How-To" #12 on my website (right-hand column).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

A good old 58mm tamper should work, no need to get a tamper milled to a 58.xx diameter. I have seen some generic eBay tampers run large/small before but the big makers have tend to have better QC. The only baskets I have had issues with are the LM doubles, they are almost always undersized and need a 57mm tamper.
Dave Stephens

AtomicPlayboy

#5: Post by AtomicPlayboy »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016CBO74/ works fine for me with the stock double basket, though I second the comment of the person who thinks your dose is too small. You really want to get a scale and weigh your doses for consistency anyway...

bigbad

#6: Post by bigbad »

I have the Intelligentsia 58mm convex tamper, which not only has great feel to it, but also great-looking. But it'll set you back almost a hundred bucks.

If aesthetics and heft aren't major factors for you, there are far more affordable convex tampers. And I highly recommend a convex tamper for the Silvia, because of the nut on the shower screen that fractures the puck on contact. Convex tampers depresses the center of the puck, so it clears a bit more space to avoid the nut.

With a convex tamper and underdosing, you can get some pretty good extractions.

atmarine (original poster)

#7: Post by atmarine (original poster) »

Great guys! thanks for the help here. I think a convex tamper and some new ridgeless baskets are in order. Thanks for you suggestions!