Rancilio Silvia V1 vs V3 portafilter, and replacement baskets that fit.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Fett

#1: Post by Fett »

Hello.

I ordered the Espressoparts HQ 14G Ridgeless basket, but it does not seem to fit my Silvia V1 portafilter (it sticks out the top, and I can not twist the portafilter into place in the machine).

Does anyone know if this basket was meant for a bottomless portafilter only, or perhaps if the V3 portafilter is deeper to allow a deeper basket?

Does anyone know of some decent baskets that will fit in the V1 portafilter?

Thank you.

heavyduty

#2: Post by heavyduty »

I have the same basket (love it), but I have a V3. I don't have any idea about a difference between the two versions' portafilters. You could try taking out the spring clip in yours but probably won't help any if it's not deep enough. Mine fits great and of course in my bottomless too. If you're just starting out (?), you might consider getting a bottomless anyway. A great tool to have.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

Fett (original poster)

#3: Post by Fett (original poster) »

So I eventually spoke with Espressoparts and determined the problem. The espressoparts basket works for later model V1 portafilters, but sometime in the V1 production Rancilio changed the portafilter to a different, deeper style. I have one of the original V1s which the basket will not fit in.

Just for anyone who stumbles upon this thread looking for details, thr production date on my Silvia was 05/2000. If your V1 is this old, you most likely have the original portafilter.