Rancilio Silvia three-way valve sticks every few days

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mjdzfun

#1: Post by Mjdzfun »

Hi, I bought the Rancilio Silvia V3 about 6 months ago and I'm having the same problem as described. I contacted the outfit I purchased it from and was advised the plunger was stuck. The tech sent an email w/detailed instructions how to fix. His solution worked...for about 3 days. Now I'm finding that I have to remove the front plate, disassemble the three-way valve, reassemble and replace...about every 3 days. Surely there is something else going on. For the record, when I remove the three-way valve, it doesn't appear to be stuck. It is in the "up" position and moves freely. Could this be an three-way valve design flaw?

Please help and thanks!

Mjdzfun (original poster)

#2: Post by Mjdzfun (original poster) »

More information...

The original problem was that the shot being pulled went from being "okay" to slowing to a trickle to not working at all while the entire water reservoir being emptied into the drain pan. Which led to the email from the tech I described. The shots drawn for the first couple of days are great...then they slow dramatically to a trickle (takes over 5 minutes to pull a shot).

Can you help?

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

To be certain, you mean the three-way valve pictured here and explained here?
Dan Kehn

#4: Post by Mjdzfun (original poster) »

Yes. That is it exactly.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Greetings Marcia -

Where in Maryland? - we have a big state.

Either you have:

a. loose connection at the solenoid end of the wires or where they end up. One goes to ground, another goes to the pump and the last goes to the brew switch.

b. A solenoid coil that has an intermittent open circuit (internally).

The solenoid valve (three-way valve) is the only source for water going to the drip tray on the original Silvia and, AFAIK, all of the following versions. Assuming you are within a reasonable distance to Silver Spring, we can always swap coils.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#6: Post by Mjdzfun (original poster) »

I'm in Columbia. I can get to Silver Spring very easily.

#7: Post by Mjdzfun (original poster) »

Eric-
Where are you in Silver Spring? Thanks!

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

1223 Woodside Pkwy - halfway between beltway and downtown Silver Spring.

301-587-5033
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#9: Post by Mjdzfun (original poster) »

Eric,
Thank you so very, very much for taking the time today to teach me how to use my new Rancilio at your home-BEAUTIFUL neighborhood, BTW! I'm relieved my machine is working perfectly and now know the problems were user error :roll: . Very grateful for the lesson on how to brew the perfect shot....and the links to useful info.

You. Are. The. Greatest!!! :mrgreen:

Marcia