Rancilio Silvia steam wand leaking

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Dougespresso

#1: Post by Dougespresso »

I have had my rancilio now for about 8 years and LOVE this machine. I have had a few issues (my fault; not the machine's) where I have had to send it back for repair in Seattle. Each time it is not just the cost of the repair but the freight of $60-70 EACH WAY!

Now my steam wand is dripping and I'd like to find a local shop to repair it or, if not too tough, get the parts and replace it myself. I'm in the Orlando, FL area so anyone out there have some good ideas or a place I can take it to?

Thanks
Doug

Burner0000

#2: Post by Burner0000 »

If it's dripping while the valve is closed this is normal. Any single boiler machine will do this. Usually what I do when I see this as the machine is warming up I bleed it off by opening the valve for a few seconds then it stops.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

The steam valve dripping during warmup is "normal"? No, I don't think so.

All espresso machines have some sort of expansion valve (often called an over-pressure valve) that opens to reduce boiler pressure during warmup by allowing water to escape from the boiler to the water reservoir. If the steam valve leaks, it may be so minor as to be tolerable, but it's certainly not working as designed.

Back to the OP, I can't recommend local repair shops in your area, but one of the main "benefits" of owning a Rancilio Silvia is that every possible question has been asked, answered, asked, answered, asked, answered at least 100 times. If you can sort through the chaff, the answers to all your Silvia questions await in unimaginable detail. I searched on "leaking rancilio steam wand" and saw several very promising threads. I know searching for previous answers takes your time, but it does save others from having to repeat themselves, which ultimately leads to a more diverse discussion for everyone. Guidelines for productive online discussion elaborates on this point under Help raise the discussion level.
Dan Kehn