Rancilio Silvia boiler gasket replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
CaptainCoffee

#1: Post by CaptainCoffee »

Hello,
I have just observed that my Miss Silvia, about three years old and used daily, has been leaking around the joint between the upper and lower halves of the boiler (especially right near the hex screws). I have already ordered the replacement gasket (as well as a few other replacement items). My questions are:
1. Do I need to use a high temp grease on this O-ring gasket? If so, what type, Dow Corning?
2. I've read somewhere that I should "prime" the pump at low temperature before using the machine after I have replaced the gasket. How do I do that (if it is necessary)?
Anything else to know about that I'm too dumb to ask about?
thanks,
David

jlhsupport

#2: Post by jlhsupport »

Hi David and welcome!

I have never had to use any grease to make the boiler O-Ring seal properly. The key to making sure this goes smoothly for you is to:

A: Remove the back panel of the Silvia so you can also remove the splash panel that protects the pump from water tank drips. Otherwise you will curse a lot more than you need to while removing the boiler, especially when you scrape your hand on the sheet metal.

B: Use a drinking straw to suck up all the water out of the boiler before separating the 2 halves. Otherwise you will have a big mess.

C: Avoid removing the brass union that connects the OPV to the boiler. It's best not to disturb the copper gasket in between.

D: Check to see if you need to descale while you have her open. You will know if you do.

E: When reassembling, first snug up the 6 bolts that secure the boiler to the group body; then tighten as you would lug nuts on a tire rim.

F: For the "priming of the pump," this is actually priming the boiler. With the power cord still unplugged, remove the 2 wire harnesses on the top of the boiler that connect to the heating element electrodes. Fill the boiler using the coffee switch with a cup under the brew group and one under the steam wand with the steam valve open. After you fill the cups each with about 6 ounces of water, unplug power cord, and reattach the wire harnesses.

G: If you noticed that you needed to descale, fill the boiler with descaling solution instead of clean water first for step F. It will be more effective instead of being diluted further by a boiler full of clean water. Follow your descaling procedure and then flush until chemical is removed.
Joshua Stack
JL Hufford

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Insert Step A1 - :) Disconnect the steam line at the boiler end and loosen it at the valve end. When the boiler is removed, simply invert and drain through the steam line fitting.

I do not recall ever seeing a post about Silvia leaking at this joint other than one whose full boiler was subjected to freezing conditions. With that in mind, I would FIRST check to ensure that each of those 5 mm allen head screws was tight in the sequence that Joshua suggested.

If you do end up disassembling, I would definitely change the grouphead gasket at this time - simply because it is so convenient.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jlhsupport

#4: Post by jlhsupport »

Right as usual, Eric. I guess I didn't include all the necessary steps... just the ones I have found can make or break the whole experience depending on whether or not they are followed.

Good call on checking the bolts first.
Joshua Stack
JL Hufford

CaptainCoffee (original poster)

#5: Post by CaptainCoffee (original poster) »

Hello,
I posted a few days ago about replacing the boiler gasket. That being done (thanks, all, for the advice), now I'm having a little trouble putting it back together. I have been trying to prime the tank. Water comes out the wand ok but when I go to have water come out the group head, very little comes out (a trickle) and more water comes out from that electric valve directly below the tank. hmmmm... Those two (free on one end) plastic hoses, one goes to the pump and the other to the tank; do those BOTH go into the water reservoir (which is what I remember they do)? Any comments? Lots of scale in that tank! But I cleaned it all now.
thanks,
David

charlano

#6: Post by charlano »

How often did you descale the machine (without taking apart the boiler) ?

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Both of those hoses go into the tank. One is the pump's suction line and the other is the OPV "discharge" line - see below. You should have two hoses "under water".

You have some wires loose or misconnected to the brew solenoid valve. Go here for an electrical diagram:

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

erics wrote:You have some wires loose or misconnected to the brew solenoid valve.
It sounds as if the 3-way has some scale or debris in it since there is some trickle coming out the group. I suggest that the OP disassemble the 3-way for a thorough cleaning.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done