Rancilio Silvia & Auber PID - Steam Control or No?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thefly

#1: Post by thefly »

Good morning,

I have been surfing this site and various others for a few months now - it has been extremely helpful in improving my techniques etc. I have recently purchased a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky. I am getting better at my dosing and tamping etc and am now looking at installing a PID.

The 2 models I am looking at are from Auber Instruments. One is the Delux model $149 and the other is the Delux model with steam control for $187.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=36
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=58

I have done some various searches but I have no yet seen any descriptions on whether it is worth it to get the steam control. The only post I found on another forum seemed to indicate that the steam control isn't a separate PID control (not really sure what is meant by that).

My initial thought is that I would go without the steam control and just watch the temperature indicator to see when the light switched off. I would then know when to start my steam by just beginning a few degrees before the light is set to go off. Thoughts?

The reason I am looking at the Auber is twofold, (1) I like the style of it and how it seems to visually integrate with the machine and (2) is is less costly then others I have seen.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

TheJohnNewton

#2: Post by TheJohnNewton »

I have the the PID kit without the steam control. This PID kit is still very helpfull for steaming because you can always see the temp of the boiler even when you turn on the steam switch. I know if I start steaming when the temp gets to the high 260s I'll get maximum steam power. I guess what putting the PID on the steam side would do is you wouldn't have to pay as much attention after you turn on the steam switch to catch the sweet spot the PID would hold it for you.

thefly (original poster)

#3: Post by thefly (original poster) »

Thanks John. That is what I was thinking too - in that the steam function isn't necessary. In terms of determining the right temp to begin your steam did you simply monitor it once through to see what temp the boiler switched off and then begin a few degrees prior to that point?

TheJohnNewton

#4: Post by TheJohnNewton »

The instructions that come with the PID kit give the tip on when to start steamng. They mention a range (I don't recall the exact numbers) as it will be slighly different from machine to machine. Mine will keep the heater on as long as I start steaming before it gets in the 270s. You have the basic idea correct, start a bit before the thermostat turns off the heater so that the heater stays on during steaming.

BTW, I really like the kit. PID really helps on the brewing side a lot. The instructions with the kit are great, I had no problems at all.

thefly (original poster)

#5: Post by thefly (original poster) »

Thanks for your replies John, really appreciate it. I think I will go with the delux model without the steam control. Hopefully I will get it soon after my new machine.

Just got mine 2 weeks ago but the cover for the grouphead (the chrome painted plastic) is peeling off. The dealer where I bought it doesn't have the part so they are just giving me a new machine.

Endo

#6: Post by Endo »

The Auber PID works great for steaming even without the steam control.

My technique works like this:

1. Turn on steam
2. Purge wand of water at 125C
3. Let temp rise to 135C then open wand.
4. Continue steaming milk, heater will stay on but temp will only go up a bit (to 137C) but will not go to the 140C cut-off.

This PID technique makes perfect microfoam with good high pressure and even more importantly, at a constant pressure so you can accurately control the stretching and rolling phases.

The single hole tip, boiler size and heating element are all perfectly balanced on the Silvia. (I doubt the 2009 model 3-hole tip on the Silvia will work as well).

Funny enough, the Silvia makes better microfoam than on my unbalanced $2000 Vivaldi DB !
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

thefly (original poster)

#7: Post by thefly (original poster) »

Good to hear Endo,

What temp do you have yours set to? Did you have much adjustments to make?

Also, I saw a post ion CG about an issue one member had attempting to remove his steam wand and the fact that the PID was in the way. Is there a clearance issue? Have you noticed any water/steam issues being that the PID isn't waterproof?

TheJohnNewton

#8: Post by TheJohnNewton »

I've never tried to remove my steam wand but I did notice that if I wanted to there is a clearance issue.

thefly (original poster)

#9: Post by thefly (original poster) »

The poster on GC was advised by Auber to pry off the PID and then reinstall with new 3M tape. Not great solution but not sure if any way around this - other then putting the PID in a different location.

TheJohnNewton

#10: Post by TheJohnNewton »

I suppose you could modify the case before installing it to create the clearance needed. Not being home right now to look at it I'm not sure if there is enough dead material on the case to work with or if it would interfere with the screw holding the back panel. An alternate location would certainly work. I've never had a need to remove the steam wand.