Rancilio Silvia & Auber PID - Steam Control or No? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Endo

#31: Post by Endo »

thefly wrote:Hmm, now that I think about it some more I wonder if it really matters and I am overthinking this....
Wouldn't want that round-off error to ruin the first recorded Silvia God Shot..... :lol:
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

thefly (original poster)

#32: Post by thefly (original poster) »

True! Now just have the hard time of waiting for the PID to show up.

thefly (original poster)

#33: Post by thefly (original poster) »

Endo wrote:Wouldn't want that round-off error to ruin the first recorded Silvia God Shot..... :lol:
Endo,

Do you have your PID set to read 0.1 degrees? I just received mine today (will install tonight) but see that it states that it is capable of handling 0.1 degree settings but that "it will take much longer to reach the set point".

Endo

#34: Post by Endo »

I use 1 deg C increments.

thefly (original poster)

#35: Post by thefly (original poster) »

Thanks Endo. I will see how that works out and whether I want more precision later. Have you tried at 0.1 to see how much longer the stabilization time is? I may try this week and report back.

Endo

#36: Post by Endo »

thefly wrote: Have you tried at 0.1 to see how much longer the stabilization time is?
Endo's Rule: When it comes to the temperature of coffee, any figures after the decimal are "insignificant". :)

o3

#37: Post by o3 »

I have a Silvia with Auber PID, if I had to do it over again I'd go ahead and get the steam, for only one simple reason. When I get up in the morning, first thing I do is turn on Miss S. on steam setting, then go shower etc, it would be nice if it was at 280 when I came back 20 minutes later. That would be the only time it would be handy, otherwise watching the temp, starting steaming at 270 gives me loads of powerful steam with the heater always on.
Just my $0.02

Endo

#38: Post by Endo »

I wonder if leaving the Silvia at steam temp for 30 minutes each day would impact life of some components (like gasket or PID)?

HB
Admin

#39: Post by HB »

Donal, I must be missing something. Why start it in steam mode? If you steam first and brew second, that assures the group will be well over the target brew temperature and negates the added accuracy a PID brings.
Dan Kehn

o3

#40: Post by o3 »

Sorry,
Had a typo, it is at most 20 minutes...maybe I'm overdoing it? I flush afterwards twice to get back down to temp. Is it always better to pull first then steam?
Donal