Rancilio Silvia and survey of pressure OPV settings?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
localhost127

#1: Post by localhost127 »

i am curious to know if there has been any discussion regarding a sample base of users experimenting with different pressure settings (via OPV) on their silvia, and the different profiles experienced from each.

i recently procured a pressure gauge, and originally measured via the porta-filter that the silvia was set to 10bar. i adjusted this to 9bar and continued on...

i then (eventually) installed the pressure gauge permanently to the silvia (vs testing via the porta-filter) - and still remain at 9bar.

what should be expected in the pour/flavor/crema/etc as pressure is increased or decreased from 9bar (adjusting the OPV)? is there a general consensus on an optimal pressure setting for the silvia?

thank you -

Burner0000

#2: Post by Burner0000 »

I know a few espresso machines out there like the GS3 I think allow to adjust pressure during the pull.

I also found this video of SGC visiting "Slayer Coffee"
Their machines allow for max adjustments on all areas of espresso pulls. Pressure, temp and temp stability. I also found another video on youtube of a user adding a manual button to be able to control pre infusion and bar pressure during the pull.
I know one very easy way to control pressure via the OPV would just be to use a wrench and adjust during the pull with the Silvia top off. A pressure gauge would need to be added somewhere though to see your adjustments

Lower bar pressure will slow the pull allowing the barista to extract more of the flavor in the bean much like a lever machine.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

localhost127 (original poster)

#3: Post by localhost127 (original poster) »

I know one very easy way to control pressure via the OPV would just be to use a wrench and adjust during the pull with the Silvia top off. A pressure gauge would need to be added somewhere though to see your adjustments
that is what i have done. i originally had a pressure-gauge connected to the porta-filter and made my adjustments there (10bar from factory --> 9bar). i then permanently installed the pressure gauge.

im asking what should i *expect* to see with going above or below 9bar? yes, i will be experimenting this myself but i like to have as much knowledge as possible going into the tests.

im also asking to see if anyone has found their silvia to perform better (i understand the relativity of this statement) at a specific pressure setting.

thank you,

Burner0000

#4: Post by Burner0000 »

This morning I tested opening the steam valve during the pull and it worked pretty good. I don't have a perm pressure gauge installed but I was able to slow and even stop the pull. Produced an amazing shot!

Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..