Rancilio S24. Any resources out there?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hudsterboy

#1: Post by hudsterboy »

So, as chance would have it, the week after buying a brand new Andreja Premium, I pick up a Rancilio S24 for $100. I just picked it up. It's very clean and and seems to be well cared for, however, it has been sitting for around 6 months, and I'll probably open it up and do a little cleaning.

It looks like there's not much documentation/schematics out there. It's late and I'll probably search some more tomorrow, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

From what I can tell they seem to be decent machines. Maybe I'll bring it into the office and pull some shots for the crew.

Sketcher

#2: Post by Sketcher »

$100, that's almost evil. You got a great deal. I recently picked up the larger brother of this machine, an S20 Midi, which has the same group and although the boilers differ in size and heater rating they've very similar. Rancilio's manuals for these cover your machine and all other S series machines up to the three group levers. If you'd like, send me a private message and I'll reply with the parts manuals, wiring diagrams and operating manuals. I would have liked to send you a link instead but I can't remember where the parts manual in particular came from, the user manual and operating guide can be found on the Rancilio (US) website under "previous models".

Good luck with the S24. My Midi came to me in bad shape and is being rebuilt but if you're looking to go that route I should be able to post my photos of the rebuild here shortly, look for an S20 Midi Rebuild forum.

hudsterboy (original poster)

#3: Post by hudsterboy (original poster) »

Thomas,
Thanks a lot! PM on its way.

I'm very excited about this find. It looks extremely clean, but who knows what lurks under the hood. The La Peppina I got last year had a roach graveyard under the heating element. :lol:

This thing is a tank, btw. I totally threw my back out last night getting it out of my car. Right now it's just sitting on the bar doing nothing until my back heals.

... And I have an Andreja coming in a few days, and my wife hasn't left me yet!! :shock:

stefano65
Sponsor

#4: Post by stefano65 »

It is a good machine
plenty of them still out in the field and parts still around
good buy
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

oschetrit

#5: Post by oschetrit »

hudsterboy wrote:So, as chance would have it, the week after buying a brand new Andreja Premium, I pick up a Rancilio S24 for $100. I just picked it up. It's very clean and and seems to be well cared for, however, it has been sitting for around 6 months, and I'll probably open it up and do a little cleaning.
was wondering how the refurb was going for you? Picked one up today for $200 and am considering doing some work. Might even try to turn it into a pour over... (but that's farther down the line) Have you had good luck finding replacement parts?

#6: Post by hudsterboy (original poster) »

Oren,

I pretty much just opened it up, did a little cleaning, and was able to pull some shots. I think I probably need to replace some gaskets, but since I have the Andreja, I haven't really dug into it. I'm sort of in transient mode, and right now it's in storage, but I'm hoping that in around 3-4 months I'll have a permanent space and I can plumb it and the Andreja in. I'll see how it does and go from there.

Drew

gscace

#7: Post by gscace »

hudsterboy wrote:So, as chance would have it, the week after buying a brand new Andreja Premium, I pick up a Rancilio S24 for $100. I just picked it up. It's very clean and and seems to be well cared for, however, it has been sitting for around 6 months, and I'll probably open it up and do a little cleaning.

It looks like there's not much documentation/schematics out there. It's late and I'll probably search some more tomorrow, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

From what I can tell they seem to be decent machines. Maybe I'll bring it into the office and pull some shots for the crew.

<image><image>

Good find!! It'll be a better steamer than the Andreja because the boiler is nice and big. It's generally a pretty decent one-group hx machine. I've used one a few times and could pull fine espresso on one. Maybe sell the Andreja and justify buying a Robur.

-Greg

bantam

#8: Post by bantam »

Hi, great buy.I paid $700 for my S24 single grp. Also have a DE Midi which I use on a kart for functions. Haven't had any problems except when I first got the Midi it needed the motor /pump turned by hand to free it up.

#9: Post by hudsterboy (original poster) »

I'm finally settled in Jacksonville, and pulled this guy out. I was in LA last week, so I brought a few pounds of black cat back with me.

Last night I tried pulling a shot. I used a Rancilio PF with a double basket. It started ok, but then water began leaking out of the sides of the PF, so I definitely need to do a little work. Hopefully it's just the group head gasket where the PF locks in.

Otherwise it heats up and produces water and steam very nicely. These things seem to be built like little tanks. I'm looking forward to using it for my milk drinks.