Rancilio S-20 Midi PID Convesion

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sketcher88

#1: Post by sketcher88 »

This is my first post in a few years but has anyone had experience in doing a PID conversion on a Rancilio S 20 Midi? I'm looking to ditch the thermostat in favour of a PID, but if there are some pitfalls or advice to consider, I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't mind to hear about:

- which PID kit is kind of descent? I don't need anything awesome. I actually don't really care if it even has a display (I could calibrate it with a digital thermometer I have), and I'm not looking to make my machine look cool, it's kind of big and red already and honestly some giant digital display might make it look kind of lame.

- The wiring in my machine is kind of unruly. Has anyone here done this on any of the S series Rancilio machines? Pictures?

One reason I want to make a change is because the fitting that screws into my boiler which then leads to the thermostat (via a stainless tube) is leaking, so I'm either replacing that with a new thermostat or I'll replace it with a PID loop, but either way I'm going to spend a bit of time and effort on this.

Thank you all for having a look, I appreciate any advice...