Quieting down my QuickMill Anita

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
FrankieC63

#1: Post by FrankieC63 »

Alright. So after purchasing the Anita, I have extensively searched around and no one has yet come up with a quick and easy solution to making a vibe pump more quiet.

I've seen some elaborate outboard pump setups and some things to do with using dynamat on the whole machine.

I ordered a 4x4x1" jewelers block off of Ebay. My thoughts are this:

1. The vibe pump mounts are soft rubber that let the pump move around with too much freedom.
2. A lot of the pumps energy is wasted on back and forth movement.
3. The free movement of the pump allows free movement of other internals attached to it, also causing noise.

Solution: place part of the jewelers block underneath the pump between both mounts and securely zip tie the perimeter of this mount-block-mount setup. I will also modify the height of the jewelers block by shaving or adding rubber to it so it fits snugly underneath the pump motor.

It costed me 10 bucks so I figure the worst that can happen is it doesn't work and I'm out the cash and some time wasted.

I will follow up with pictures and results.

On a side note, Profitec has done a very good job making their Pro 500 extremely quiet by reducing any contact points in the machine, but they also have a great mounting system which I believe to be the biggest part. Quieting down the pump must start with the source of all the vibration.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Quieting vibe pump

Sounds good, looks easy to do - see/hear the video posted towards the end of the thread.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

FrankieC63 (original poster)

#3: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

Thanks for sharing! I think I've read this one before. I'm going to try what I had in mind and then see what the result is. What is the price of this pulser?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I think that the video at the end is quite amazing,
- I didn't expect that much of an effect from that part.

I have no idea how much the part is - I am plumbing in a pressure gauge in my Silvia so I want to see what effect that has on pump noise before ordering from Chris Coffee/driving down to the States.

I look forward to hearing what impact your mod has. Please try to do comparable before/after audio/video if possible.

I never used to think about pump noise - and then I got a lever machine :-)

#5: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

Craig,

I have a couple videos of before already so I will make an after video once I get the rubber pad in the mail and install it. I'm really curious to see what kind of effect it will have. Have a look at WholeLatteLove's review of the Profitec Pro 500 on youtube. You will be amazed how quiet it is, and mostly from the mounting system they use. It's the same pump as I have I think.

earlgrey_44

#6: Post by earlgrey_44 »

That is an impressive video. The big difference between it and the e-61 vibe pump boxes I've seen is the braided output hose. It's much longer and more flexible on this machine, which would result in much less vibration transmission to downstream components.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

#7: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

earlgrey44, Yeah I actually had my Anita opened up today and I was trying to see how I could isolate the noise. It appears that the hose that is on the output side of the pump is the culprit. I will try the rubber block and zip ties but I don't think it's going to help now. We shall see.

earlgrey_44

#8: Post by earlgrey_44 replying to FrankieC63 »

Yep, I'm afraid not. If it works anything like my clamp-and-sorbothane contraption referenced in the other thread quoted above, you may see a small incremental improvement at best.

The e-61 box designs I've seen have a rigid steel-braded hose that is plenty strong to withstand the internal pressure but is so stiff it has the undesirable side effect of shaking the L out of everything it's attached to. You have to look closely, but the Profitec Pro 500 video shows the braided hose being poked by the presenters finger, showing how flexible it is. Plus, the pump is perpendicular to the hose mount, whereas mine, for example, is mounted in line causing more downstream transmission. This may be the single biggest factor in why the thing is so nicely quiet.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

#9: Post by FrankieC63 (original poster) »

Alright, so long story short, I carved up half of my jewelers block and guess what?! It didn't work :lol: It actually made the vibrations transfer directly to the counter top. I am going to see if I can order the braided stainless/rubber hose from profitec. So far they are terrible at getting back to me. I'd also like to get the pump mounts if I can. So far, no one in the US has them and the only place left is espresso parts northwest. We shall see if they can help.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

I tried my mod this weekend, and it did work! :D

I put a pressure gauge feed right at the vibe pump output with a tee. Straight-ahead at the T goes to the gauge tubing, and the 90-degree bend goes to the original 90-degree elbow, then teflon tube to the OPV/boiler. This has the effect of the pump output pointing directly into a column of (compressible) air that end at the fluid-filled gauge - and the fluid in the gauge also absorbs pump fluctuations. In other words, I think that what I have does what (I think) the Quickmill Pulser/pulsor does - acts like a 'shock' absorber.

The reduction in noise, and type of noise, is pretty much identical to the video Pizzaman posted in the other thread: Quieting vibe pump - and before I put the cover back on, the sound when the pump was against a blind basket was similar to the WLL Profitec video.

YMMV.