Quickmill Vetrano 2B - trouble with first time setup

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JR_Germantown

#1: Post by JR_Germantown »

I just unpacked my new Quickmill Vetrano 2B, and can't get the boiler heat or PID display to come on. According to the manual, this won't happen until the boiler has filled. I followed the instructions, filled the reservoir, ran the pump, refilled the reservoir (and repeated this cycle). I can't get the boiler or PID display to work.

It's not plumbed in (yet) and the selector switch is in the correct position for the tank ("tanika"?).

I emailed the service address for Chris' Coffee, but I doubt anyone will see my email until Tuesday. I was hoping to have espresso this weekend. Anybody seen this before?

Thanks.
Jack

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

that's bad.. I would have assumed they tested their machines before sending it out.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Evidently the steam boiler did fill as you apparently had to refill the reservoir. Now lift the brew lever and fill the brew boiler until water flows from the grouphead. Or did you already do that?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

The only other thing I can think of asking is whether or not you filled the reservoir with water that had enough minerals in it to trip the low water sensor (non-RO).
Merle

JR_Germantown (original poster)

#5: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

erics wrote:Evidently the steam boiler did fill as you apparently had to refill the reservoir. Now lift the brew lever and fill the brew boiler until water flows from the grouphead. Or did you already do that?
The pump ran, and water came out of the group. I've run at least a quart through it.
uscfroadie wrote:The only other thing I can think of asking is whether or not you filled the reservoir with water that had enough minerals in it to trip the low water sensor (non-RO).
It registers a "3" on the water test strip. That's the maximum before they recommend a softener.
weebit_nutty wrote:that's bad.. I would have assumed the tested their machines before sending it out.

maybe the display connector was knocked loose or they forgot to plug it in... hopefully that's all it is..
I still assume they tested it before shipping. They say they do, and they have an excellent reputation. I think it's more likely that something happened in shipping, or...who knows.

I'm reluctant to open it up if there's an easy step I missed.

Jack

#6: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

Update: I opened the case and made sure the float sensor was in place. I checked its connections, and pushed them together a little tighter.

No change.

Jack

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

As you may know, the float sensor is simply a magnetic switch and I believe there is only one on the Vetrano. The connections on the switch side should be male spades whereas the machine side has female spades.

Construct a simple jumper cable from 16 gauge wire with male spades at each end and "jumper" the machine side of the cable. This will tell the machine the reservoir is full in the event that the magnetic switch has a fault.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

erics wrote:Construct a simple jumper cable from 16 gauge wire with male spades at each end and "jumper" the machine side of the cable. This will tell the machine the reservoir is full in the event the magnetic switch has a fault.
Funny. When composing my previous post, I had a paragraph something like this:

"I was about do to a continuity check on the sensor, using a magnet, or even replace it with a jumper. Then I decided I'm NOT going to do troubleshooting or repairs on a brand new $2k+ espresso machine unless someone wants to pay me to do it. It should just work."

I deleted that part for brevity, but that's how I feel. My intent in creating this topic was to see if I'd missed any setup steps, or if anyone had seen this issue before and had a quick fix.

So, thanks for the tip, and it was indeed a good one. But I'm done, unless there's a quick fix that's not a repair.

Jack

#9: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

I just thought of an easy way to test the operation of the reservoir water level sensor. I raised the lever, and while the machine was running water through the group head, I raised the water tank gradually. It shut the pump off after I had raised it about 1/2 inch (the float got too far from the sensor). So we now know that the float and sensor are working, and the controller is "aware".

Jack

#10: Post by JR_Germantown (original poster) »

I got someone from Chris' Coffee via Facebook. They messaged me with a number to call and leave a voicemail for them. Hopefully, we'll get it going this weekend. :)

Jack