Quickmill Vetrano 2B steam pressure drop with 4 hole tip

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ruthlessaz

#1: Post by ruthlessaz »

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I have a Vetrano 2b, and lately I have been using the 4 hole stock tip that came with the machine.

I notice that after the machine heats up, and I go to steam milk, the pressure drops very fast, from almost 1.4 bar to about almost 1 bar in about a second or 2, then it will slowly drop again to about .5 bar after maybe 20 to 30 seconds of steaming.

The pressure does not have as bad a drop with the 2 hole stock tip.

I was under the assumption that the pressure should remain at least stable, and not drop so much.

The machine is new, about 2 months old, I use it in 20 amp mode with a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I was using a timer, but read that maybe this was vapor lock, so now I plug into wall directly. However the vapor lock symptoms and the symptoms I have are different.

Please help!

malling

#2: Post by malling »

How much a drop do you get with the two hole tip, it should never go under the green zone not until it begin to draw water into the boiler (this take some time, and mine never drop below 1bar), if it dos you have a problem. if you ask me the boiler and heating element is not big enough to handle a 4 hole tip on most prosumer dualboiler machines, the only one I have seen that is able to hold it at the lower end of the green zone (around 0.9bar) is the Profitec, the remaining drop pressure below the green zone (some of them even way below), but you can reduce the drop by turning the boiler on for at least 30min before using it, steaming with a boiler that has not reach it's equilibrium is bound to have a negative effect.

30sec also sounds extreme with a 4hole tip.

ruthlessaz (original poster)

#3: Post by ruthlessaz (original poster) »

I will have to check tomorrow, but i am pretty sure the 2 hole tip it came with( it came with a 4 hole tip that was attached to the machine, and a 2 hole as well) will stay in the green zone, but the 4 hole doesn't, and I am still waiting on the distributor to get back to me. I made a video but I don't know if I can upload it here.

I'll try the 2 hole tip tomorrow to verify what happens with pressure and re-post. I ordered a 3 hole tip as well, hoping that will split the difference lol

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bill33525 »

Have heard taking a little hot water can help if the boiler is filling too high.
May want to up your boiler temp a few degrees. Also, if just discharging steam into thin air the pressure will drop faster. When actually seaming milk the pressure will not drop as fast. I set my V2B just inside the red zone @ 1.5. Took the silicon tube out of the wand and still use the 2 hole tip. Seems to work good.

Hope this helps.

#5: Post by ruthlessaz (original poster) »

Took the silicon tube out of the wand and still use the 2 hole tip. Seems to work good.
Have you ever tried using the 4 hole steam tip? What were your thoughts as far as the boiler keeping up? I just want to know if the machine is normal, or is flawed, as the machine cost a pretty penny.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Bill33525 »

I have my steam at 257F. Pressure is 1.5 bar just in the red, 20 amp service.
The 4 hole tip will cause the pressure to drop below the green 1. bar.
With 2 holes blocked the pressure into a cold pitcher of water will stay in the green but near 1.0 bar.
The 2 hole tip is similar with the pressure staying near the 1.0 bar pressure.
Sounds like both of our machines are about the same.

#7: Post by ruthlessaz (original poster) »

That's crazy. You figure that with a machine like this, it would be made in such anway that it wouldn't lose steam pressure with the stock 4 hole tip that it came with!

I like the 4 hole tip because it moves the milk fast, and steams fast, bit the pressure drops fast also. I guess it is what it is....

I am waiting for a new 3 hole tip to arrive ( izzo) and I will see if that sort of splits the difference so to speak... I had the Teflon tube out for a while, then I put it back in. I'll try the 3 hole with Teflon first, see how that goes.

Thanks for the response Bill.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Bill33525 »

This is probably a case of too much information.
Like you say the 4 hole tip works good and the machine isn't harmed by low pressure.
Did the retailer say low pressure was expected with the 4 hole tip.
I never actually noticed myself. The 2 hole is working fine for me.

My EVO is only a few months old, very satisfied with it's performance.
Since I do milk drinks have been using the IMS triple basket 23g in 2OZ out.
Very tasty Latte.

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

I am just wondering how it could NOT lose steam pressure, as it is losing steam!

The question is, how is it steaming for you?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Bill33525 »

Steams fine for me.
The boiler would have to be huge and heater element would have to be extremely powerful to keep up with the steam going out the wand.
The machine would be as big as a commercial multi-group unit.