Quickmill Vetrano 2B steam from grouphead

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sluflyer06

#1: Post by sluflyer06 »

This might be normal but just playing around, I set the PID for the brew boiler at 207F, obviously this includes a 27F offset from Chris' Coffee. Would it be normal that even under 212F you would start to see some steam due to the temperature of the brew boiler starting to get hotter than you'd ever actually use it for brewing or is my offset possibly wrong?

Chris' stands by 27F being the proper offset for the Vetrano 2B.

Thanks.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Yes, whether you see steam should vary on ambient temperature. Also, on your altitude.

I made my own group thermometer and it matches the offset set by chris assuming you don't go crazy with flushing before pulling a shot.

Offset is ultimately meaningless because....a ristretto could be cooler and a faster flowing shot could be higher temperature, ambient temperature fluxes, not properly preheating the portafilter/basket, and ETC. 30ml in 25 seconds is what I tested. Just to show I didn't make this up. when I was making the mold for the basket I first set it too large and got 100ml in 15 seconds and my PID read 5F hotter. Next I made the hole too small and got 8ml in 30 seconds and the temperature was seemingly 5f too cold.