Quickmill Vetrano 2B setup problems, help needed

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
robertmgarrett

#1: Post by robertmgarrett »

I just upgraded from an old super-automatic to a Vetrano 2B so I'm very much a novice. My machine arrived a few days ago and I failed to get it to work during setup. Chris' is closed for the weekend so I thought I'd see if anyone here has advice on the off chance it is something stupid I'm doing.

The setup instructions essentially tell me to fill the reservoir and turn on the power to the coffee brewer at which time the pump is supposed to come on to fill the boiler. But the pump doesn't come on so the boiler sits empty (not heating) and I can't figure out why.

The float in the reservoir seems to be working. The switch to select direct plumbing or reservoir is in the correct position. Nothing seems to make the machine come to life.

It might have gotten shaken up during shipping since one of the LEDs was loose in the box, so maybe a wire came loose. I haven't screwed up the nerve to take the cover off the machine yet (I don't even know how) but maybe that's the next step, just see if everything is securely connected.

Anyone know if there is something silly I'm missing or have advice on what I might check? Much appreciated. A Sunday cappuccino would be really nice about now.

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Where are you located in Maryland?

I would think you should turn the switch to position "I" and that should fill the steam boiler. Then, with the switch still in position "I", lift the brew lever and that will fill the brew boiler and expel water from the grouphead.

Now turn the switch to position "II" and all should be OK.

edit - I just glanced at the machine's video and see that each boiler has its own power switch. So, forget about the position I and II comments I made.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

robertmgarrett (original poster)

#3: Post by robertmgarrett (original poster) »

Thanks Eric.

I'm near Sharpsburg out in the skinny part of the State south of Hagerstown.

I might be confused (wouldn't be the first time) but mine doesn't have a multi-position switch, there is a switch for the steam boiler and a separate switch for the coffee boiler. I can't seem to make either of them fill either boiler turning them on in any order. And lifting the brew lever doesn't do anything either.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

You're not confused - see my edit. I do not believe you need to power up either of the boilers in order for the steam boiler to fill.

There should be(?) both a mechanical valve and an electrical switch to choose between reservoir and plumbed in.

More edits:

Keep the steam boiler off until this problem is resolved. The power switch for the brew boiler evidently turns the power on for the machine. The PID should light up and the decorative side lights come on.

The choice between reservoir and plumbed in is done by a solenoid valve(s). This video - http://vimeo.com/70415740 at least shows you what tools are necessary for removing the top panel.

If you want to cart the machine to Silver Spring, send me an email as our neighborhood phones are down at the moment.
Skål,

Eric S.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

See some more edits above.
Skål,

Eric S.

#6: Post by robertmgarrett (original poster) »

Hmm. Thanks again.

The PID is not lighting up. The only sign of life when I power the coffee boiler is the LED that indicates the power is on. The LED indicating the heating element is on is not lit (as expected since the boiler is likely empty, but that's also the LED that fell out). Haven't seen the other lighting come on either. /sigh.

#7: Post by robertmgarrett (original poster) »

I have it working now, thanks. I had to open it up, there was a wire disconnected. Not sure what all those parts are in there but I think it went from the little module that distributes 12V up near the top right of the machine to the pump solenoid. In any case when I re-attached that it worked as designed. Its a bit touchy because even when I got it working and all the panels back on I had to go back in and wiggle that wire to make it work again. But she's making coffee now!

The wiring harness is still pulling hard on one of the LEDs on the front which I'm sure is why it fell out in shipping, but they have the thing gussied up so much I'm afraid to dig into that or I'll be re-wrapping half the wires.

Made my first two cups and was better than expected first try. Probably helps that my palate isn't very sophisticated. I could sit there and drink all day if I wasn't afraid my heart would explode. :D

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Well, that's good news but I would take a pic of the problem areas and forward it up to Chris' Coffee and see what they have to say. Certainly, having to "wiggle" a wire to get things working says they something is still not right.
Skål,

Eric S.

iginfect

#9: Post by iginfect »

There is a black button on the right side panel on the bottom and in the middle. This turns the blue lights on and off.

Marvin