Quickmill Vetrano 2B and Vario, slightly rough start

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Machine

#1: Post by Machine »

Vetrano 2B:
Got my Vetrano plumbed in and found that I had no brew heating light, but the temp on the PID was increasing. I took it apart and found a wire connector unplugged and the white plastic insulator hanging off it. It dropped when I went for the connector and I had fun fishing it out.

Today I found a puddle on my counter from a leaking drip tray. I took apart the plug and the assembly makes no sense to me. An ill-fitting O-ring was under a nut on the wet side of the pan. All this was in a tapered cone relief. I turned the whole assembly around so that the round bolt and o-ring were on the wet side and it seems to be holding now. I'll buy a better fitting o-ring this week.

Vario:
Tried settings between 2F and 2K and I kept getting it jamming with the motor stopping. I need up with beans all over the counter and floor through this whole jamming/unjamming deal. I have enough grounds now but not settled in on a time and have little confidence in the grinder now. I emailed the company to see what they have to say.

neutro

#2: Post by neutro »

Hi Matt,

Sorry about your experiences. On my Pro 700 my PID seems to do funky things so perhaps I should check the connections or try a factory reset (anyone know how?). Having a drip tray leak is frustrating but I guess it's relatively easy to fix compared to any other kind of leak, especially if the machine is plumbed in.

As for the Vario, it is very awkward that it would jam (with the motor stopping). Could it be that the hopper is not correctly inserted / locked? The Vario won't start if the hopper is not locked in.

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

Sounds like a faulty vario. Email baratza. Also, I don't think the Vario takes well to very hard light roasted beans for espresso.

Machine (original poster)

#4: Post by Machine (original poster) »

I heard from Baratza. They say:
The Vario is designed to grind enough for 1 shot at a time, with a couple minutes downtime( or enough time to pull shot, steam milk etc.) if you need to pull back to back shots. If you try to grind more than this at an espresso fine setting then the overload fuse will trip. If you use the grinder this way, you should completely eliminate the jams.
Hmm...we'll see

Gig103

#5: Post by Gig103 »

Machine wrote:I heard from Baratza. They say:

Hmm...we'll see
That's odd since the motor is rated for a 50% duty cycle. I have ground an entire pound of coffee for a friend at about a 6 for 40 seconds, then let it sit for over a minute, then repeated for the whole pound. I never had any trips, although the difference between 2 and 6 isn't insignificant.