Quickmill Silvano vs. Alexia for espresso-only usage

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
joe19812

#1: Post by joe19812 »

considering espresso only usage, would a non-PID Alexia make better shots than the Silvano because of the e61 group? These two machines are candidates for my next upgrade and wonder what else is an important consideration for this decision at this price point?

zimberto

#2: Post by zimberto »

I really doubt you would notice the difference between a good shot pulled from a Silvano and an Alexia. I don't believe the difference in group heads is an issue - the design/placement of the group on the Silvano is excellent. I suspect that the Silvano could be more consistent since it's essentially a dual boiler machine. Between the two, the choice comes down to consideration of functionality and aesthetics, given that price and equipment quality are roughly on a par. For instance, if other people in your household will be using the machine, the Silvano's ease of use make the choice clear.

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

joe19812 wrote:These two machines are candidates for my next upgrade
wadyagotnow?

Most here consider the grinder first

joe19812 (original poster)

#4: Post by joe19812 (original poster) »

I've have a Lelit Pl53 grinder and a Krups pump machine. I got a proper basket filter for the Krups and with the Lelit grinder and fresh coffee I can get a somewhat decent espresso most days.
Since I had the Lelit grinder I thought about the PL041 but based on the reviews I read seems like this would only be a marginal upgrade, as well as the hit or miss capability of a Silvia that I also read about. Since the QM's all seem to get great reviews I was looking at their single boiler models-I only drink straight espresso so don't need an HX. Just need help determining if the e61 really has an advantage here.

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

Consider a lever. Quiet, quick, small footprint.