Quickmill Anita shuts off

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Grymster

#1: Post by Grymster »

I have a two year old Quick Mill Anita. It starts, pump works, it heats up, then shuts off. Left power indicator light stays on, but both the red and green lights on the right go out, and the thing just cools off. Sometimes it will run for an hour or two, sometimes just a few minutes.

Has a new reservoir float in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

grym

D'Laine

#2: Post by D'Laine »

Sounds like a volt meter and a wiring diagram would locate the problem. Expert troubleshooting it is.

D.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

The power indicator light is simply powered by the on/off switch. This wiring diagram MAY be applicable to your model year:

A lot depends on how handy you are with a voltmeter but the first thing I would do is jumper the connections to the water tank level switch.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

kize

#4: Post by kize »

If Eric's wiring diagram is applicable- I would check for a faulty thermal breaker on the boiler in addition to the usual stuff- p stat, tank switch, SSR, etc.

Grymster (original poster)

#5: Post by Grymster (original poster) »

If Eric's schematic is not correct, it's pretty close from what I can tell. I'm an electronics dummy, and don't know how/where to jumper the reservoir sensor.

I do appreciate the replies though.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

If you undress Anita, you will see that the water level switch is mounted to the reservoir support platform. The switch has two wires coming from it and they each terminate in a quick-disconnect terminal.

So, disconnect each one and take a look at the connections on the machine's wires i.e., not the switch side of the wiring. All you need is a 14 gage wire (maybe about 3")with proper terminals on the ends to electrically connect the machine's wires to each other.

I realize this can be a little intimidating so if you want to take your machine apart and give me a call - 301-587-5033, I do believe I can "walk you" through it.
Skål,

Eric S.

#7: Post by Grymster (original poster) »

How kind of you to offer your help, Eric! Thank you.

I think I understand what I need to do; unplug the two connectors from the sensor and jumper where shown in green in the following photo?

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Yes - obviously with the machine unplugged.

If the same fault appears, this indicates that the level sensor switch is OK and that the fault lies elsewhere.
Skål,

Eric S.

#9: Post by Grymster (original poster) »

I'm not real sure how the magnetic sensor works, but yesterday I blocked the reservoir up a couple inches and taped a small, but very powerful neodymium magnet over the sensor. The machine faulted a couple of times in that configuration, so I stopped that experiment.

Later, I noted that there was some slop in the reservoir fit, which allowed it to sit maybe 3/16" or so from touching the reservoir support platform. I manually tweaked the various reservoir retainer parts and got that snugged up well. After that, the machine ran flawlessly for six or eight hours, during which I pulled a couple shots, ran a backflush and tuned the machine on and off a few times.

Not sure what to think of all this.

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

There is a stainless metal strip (~1/2" x 8") fastened to the rear section of the machine's sheet metal which the reservoir can EASILY "catch on" and NOT fully seat.
Skål,

Eric S.