Quickmill Anita makes loud squealing noise when pulling shots

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ultrabean

#1: Post by ultrabean »

My Quickmill Anita has suddenly started making a very loud high-pitched squealing noise when pulling shots. The noise is intermittent; it comes and goes during the 22seconds of the shot.

I have removed the mushroom and it doesn't have any noticeable large accumulation of scale. The machine is used for home use only, was descaled about a year ago and is used only to pull about 10-12 shots per week.

Is it possible to say definitively what the source of this noise probably is?

TimEggers

#2: Post by TimEggers »

Hello Patrick the most common squealing which may be what you're hearing is often a chirp from the Over Pressure Valve (OPV). Please read "Strange noise coming from my Andreja Premium, 5 months old" and see if describes what you're hearing.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

My guess was going to be a noisy OPV as well. They will squeal like a pig sometimes.
Dave Stephens

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 »

My Anita will squeal at times when I backflush or even during the occasional shot.

When the machine came last fall I had to lower the pressure from well over 10 bar to 9. It slowly moved back up to slightly over 10 and I just had to lower it again. I did not notice any correlation between brew pressure and squealing.

I was told the noise was not a problem or fault and as long as my coffee is delicious which it has I'm not going to worry.

lsf

#5: Post by lsf »

I was at the origin of the topic whose Tim refers to and I got to say that I still live with the noise. So far, the repair service were I bought the machine has been unable solve the issue. Even worse, while talking with the seller, I found out that the technician was deaf so there is no way he could hear the noise!

I got to consider this as a conception issue. Even though it doesn't seem to affect coffee taste, it's nearly enough to make me replace the machine. To me, it's like driving a ferrari with rattles.

The only way I found to get rid of it so far, is to descale the machine. But even then, it lasts no more than 3 weeks... I'm planning to try to add some food grade lube on the opv's spring on my next descale in the hope it can provide a more durable solution...

chriscoffee
Sponsor

#6: Post by chriscoffee »

It's a simple fix. First take the valve apart, clean it, replace the seat, and adjust to the proper setting. The noise is like taking an inflated balloon and pulling the sides of the opening and letting the air out. In essence that is exactly what is happening, high-pressure water is slipping by the seat and make the noise. Some times you can fix it as simply as rotating the adjustment a couple of turns then adjust back to where it was and magically it stops.
Chris Nachtrieb
Pres. Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

lsf

#7: Post by lsf »

You can be sure I'll try it and if it works, I'll explain it to my technician...

Advertisement
chriscoffee
Sponsor

#8: Post by chriscoffee »

If you have any questions, give my service department a call. You can reach them Monday thru Friday 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST at 518-452-5995.
Chris Nachtrieb
Pres. Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

ultrabean (original poster)

#9: Post by ultrabean (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the feedback about the OPV. I just took it apart and it indeed looks like the culprit (I'll be sure within a few days). The rubber piston-head that makes contact with the valve seat has a deep -and clearly off-center - ridge worn in it and it's clear that the rubber is no longer "live" due to the age and heat. So it is undoubtedly failing under high pressure to do it's job and like Chris says, it's logical that the noise would be coming from high-frequency vibration of this piston as the 9-bar water leaks by irregularly.

I put it back together again so I can continue to use the machine but I do intend to replace the piston. I certainly hope it's available as a separate part; it would seem a total waste to have to replace the entire valve just for a simple rubber disk.

TimEggers

#10: Post by TimEggers »

Hello Patrick Chris Coffee sells the seat for the expansion valve ($4.95) available on their site.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202