Quickmill Andreja Premium - Boiler leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ThE_BrEaD

#1: Post by ThE_BrEaD »

Hi everyone

I bought a Quickmill Andreja Premium. After about 2 months of regular use (2-3 espressi/day) I am experiencing a rather nasty problem. 5 minutes after powering up the machine, you can clearly hear a constant hiss coming from the top of the machine. I opened the machine and discover a small hole (!) at the top of the boiler (see image, small black dot surrounded by white stuff). You can clearly see water coming out of it during the heating up process. Now, this sounds like a seriuos issue to me. Any advice/similar experiences from Andreja owners?

Further Info:
- I use tap water (not sure about hardness)
- During the first two months of use everything seemed to be ok
- Coffee quality is unaffected by the problem

Thank you!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Could be a gasket leaking but if it is only two months old, take it back and get a replacement.
Dave Stephens

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

It doesn't look like a gasket leak to me; more like a weld pinhole. I can't find the discussion, but I thought there were reports of a batch of Quickmill boilers suffering from pinhole leaks. Eric Svendson (erics) would probably remember...
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I agree w/ Dan - it looks like a pinhole in the silver solder joint where the hx upper female fitting is attached to the boiler. If this is a NEW machine originally purchased by you (2 months ago) it should be a valid warranty item.

If this is a used machine that you simply purchased two months ago, there are several ways this can (POSSIBLY) be fixed.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

ThE_BrEaD (original poster)

#5: Post by ThE_BrEaD (original poster) »

Thank you for your responses. It is definitely a pinhole. The machine is new and still under warranty. However I'll have to ship the machine abroad for repair (online vendor), i.e. it won't be cheap :roll:. The other option would be to let it fixed locally (soldered), but I'm somehow unconfortable with this kind of repair. If you have any link concerning discussions on defective quickmill boilers batches it would be great!

Greetings

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I would call your vendor first & discuss situation. If you feel unsatisfied after that, I would contact Quickmill directly. When I say "call", I would think a phonecall and a concurrent email would be the best course.

Keep in mind that this is holiday time (or close to it) for Italy.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com