Quick Rancilio S27 reassembly question

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
norwood

#1: Post by norwood »

Hello again!

So we've gotten all the parts of the S27 descaled, cleaned up the chassis nicely, boiler and group head back together with all new gaskets and reinstalled. Power junction setup is back together. Lookin' good, but I just ran into a bit of a head scratcher.

I'm reassembling the part with the solenoid and the expansion valve, as shown in this Rancilio diagram:

Part #22 on that diagram is where water goes from the pump. (This is an NSF machine - it's different from the non-NSF S27's in this area, for reasons I don't understand.)

So this is what it looks like before I reassemble it (I left the copper gasket out of the picture, but it's there and it's the correct Rancilio one from Espresso Parts.)

So far, so good. But when I actually install the 3-way junction, we get this:

The part seems to turn 45 degrees too far - it needs to line up with the outlet shown below it, because each of those goes to a copper hard line to something else. It's a brand new copper gasket, not squished, and both of the surfaces that line up to the gasket look immaculate. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

norwood (original poster)

#2: Post by norwood (original poster) »

Oops. I just looked at the diagram again and it dawned on me. I'm supposed to reassemble #21 to #14 before assembling #14 to #18, aren't I? That way I can 'clock' #14 to an appropriate angle to have the #2 subassembly line up with #20.